Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Public Transit Job Opportunities in Greater Vancouver

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

2. Superchecker

Transit Police are in need of a POLICE SUPPORT CLERK- CASUAL...

www.translink.ca/drive and THEN "Transit Police"....

3. Superchecker

4. Superchecker

Happy November 1! Still no active postings for drivers at this time... Plenty of other postings up now! Approx 25 at TransLink; Nearly 10 MORE at Coast Mountain Bus Company; 5 MORE at BCRTC-SkyTrain...

Noticed more than a few "TRAINING BUSES" out and about this past week... I'd be assuming that most are Shuttle Drivers upgrading to Conventional...

Met at least on guy who retired yesterday... 25 years on the job...
    Heard about a Supervisor that's had enough of the big city and is leaving- moving to a much smaller community...

They are shuffling more Op's from Vancouver out to suburban depots. 3rd bulletin in about a month... They post for volunteers first, and then after a week: they can force the newest drivers out from the bottom of the Spareboard seniority list if needed.. Some Op's graduate and then get forced out to a suburban depot right away, usually until next September (Consolidated/Fall Sign Up)at least...

Keep the faith, if looking to get on here... Apply for anything to maybe get "your foot in the door", and then move around later... Check those lists of posting regularly...

Another GREAT website to keep an eye on is www.civicinfo.bc.ca/16.asp

5. Henry

Henry Junior Member

Question for you Superchecker... Was wondering your knowledge on internal transfers. Is it true that it is easier to transfer internally from a job as a Translink worker into Transit Police?

6. Superchecker

I don't know just how "easy" it is, but I do know that many opportunities are posted Internally first, and many never go external.... If you have the right qualifications, and pass the companies testing, I guess the job is yours...

Some departments even compensate staff for taking courses to better themselves...

When I started with transit I was a member of the office union first, and it wasn't particularly easy/quicker to change to the drivers union... I earned years of service before switching but I don't think I was "fast tracked" over to driving ahead of public applicants at that time...

There were quite a few of us at that time (20-25 years ago now) that moved around to various other jobs... Some stayed within the one union/area, and others switched to driving and have even moved up and on from that....
    Some now are employed directly with the unions...

There are literally thousands of jobs here, Yes- the majority are drivers, 3,500 approx, but there are many other opportunities at Transit...

7. Superchecker

Sometimes External postings are "Temporary" or "Casual" to start, where as Internal postings often are "Regular" status... Regular status means paid benefits and vacation time...

There is currently an Internal posting looking for an INTERIOR BUS CLEANER, $26 an hour plus full benefits????
    Opportunities come and go... Most Internal postings only last 5 business days.... And then, if not filled, might go external...

8. Superchecker

Not really sure whats going to happen with all the AirCare employees who won't be needed anymore as of January 1...

9. Norman

Norman New Member

Hi Superchecker,
    I have gone through all steps for driver. Last is medical. What are they looking for and must they tell you if there will be a drug test?
    Thanks man
    Norm

10. Superchecker

It's a standard medical exam...

11. Superchecker

Just a note: That CASUAL CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERK posting that had been up/active since MAY is now off the website....

12. Superchecker

Opportunities come and go... Coast Mountain Bus is now looking for an ACCOUNTING CLERK...

www.translink.ca/drive and THEN "Coast Mountain Bus Company"

TransLink itself has about 25 opportunities listed including their latest one looking for a CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT FT for a 1 year term...

13. Superchecker

Cloverdale based HandyDART is in need of both CASUAL DRIVERS as well as an ACCOUNTING CLERK...

wwwmvtcanada.com OR www.translink.ca/drive and THEN click onto the HandyDART icon bottom right corner...

14. Superchecker

SkyTrain/BCRTC is in need of an EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT...

www.translink.ca/drive and THEN click onto "BCRTC" for their postings....

15. Superchecker

TransLink is in need of a CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE, Full Time- Regular Status- full union benefits....

Head Office is now located near Royal Columbian Hospital...

www.translink.ca/drive if interested...

Opportunities come and go almost daily!

16. Superchecker

Part Time CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERKS; $21.76 an hour....

www.translink.ca/drive and THEN "Coast Mountain Bus Company"

17. Superchecker

18. Superchecker

Just a friendly reminder that there are over 50 active job posting up NOW in the Public Transit industry around Metro Vancouver!

www.translink.ca/drive brings up 24 Active Postings!

CLICK onto Coast Mountain Bus for 10 MORE!

CLICK onto BCRTC for even MORE!! (NOTE: Evergreen Line will need even MORE staff in about a year!!)

Click onto WCE; Transit Police and HandyDART for even MORE!

www.protransbc.com/ for their Canada Line jobs!

CharlieUK likes this.
  19. Superchecker

CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERKS - Casual to start; $22.13 an hour PLUS an extra 22% MORE while temp status to start!

www.translink.ca/drive and THEN Coast Mountain Bus Company.

20. Superchecker

Hello! Over 40 jobs posted these days over at www.translink.ca/drive and by clicking onto all of the subsidiaries.

NEW this month include TransLinks need for: CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANTS- CASUAL POOL; Coast Mountain Buses continued need for CASUAL- CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERKS, $22.13 an hr; DEPOT CASUAL- COORDINATORS $29 an hr; PRE APPRENTICE MECHANICS at $20 an hr; and a new posting up looking for a BODY-MAN/PERSON at $36 an hr, for the body shop.

Opportunities come and go!

Evergreen (BCRTC) goes live in about a year and will need staff!

Canada Line hires thru www.protransbc.com/ as well!