Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Photocopying Textbooks

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Henry, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Henry

Henry Junior Member

Textbooks in University can easily go between $500-$1000 brand new. I've seen used books go for about 50% cheaper and online for about 20% cheaper (depending on where you look). Theoretically.. if i were a broke student, where would one find a store that would photocopy textbooks for me...? I've seen copyright laws and legally i believe you can photocopy up to 10% of the book.

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Theoretically... any independent print and copy shop will likely do it. Even at Staples and Kinkos, they will sometimes turn a blind eye depending on who's working.

Years ago, I know there was an old man who ran a copy shop on Victoria Drive who would photocopy entire textbooks for students. I'm not sure if it's still around but it was between 49th and 54th. Maybe this place? Give them a call.

Pen & Paper Printing Company
    6440 Victoria Drive
    Vancouver BC, V5P 3X7
    (604) 431-8163

I never bothered photocopying textbooks. I usually bought used and resold, sometimes making a profit. Back in the day http://www.saveonbook.com/ was a good resource but I think kids these days are using facebook groups to BST textbooks. On facebook, search "school name textbook" and some groups should come up.

On rare occasions, the market price for expensive books was lower than what the UBC bookstore offered (50% of cover price) so I would buy third-party to resell at the bookstore.

Another trick is to check if the school or public library has the item. If they do, borrow it and renew. If it's a popular book, use your friends' card to place a hold and alternate between your card and theirs. Libraries will also photocopy parts of books for you via their document delivery service which is free: http://services.library.ubc.ca/borrowing-services/docdel/. Sometimes if you're just using a small section of a book, this is a good option.

Lastly, many popular books are available online. Just google the name + pdf or torrent.

Henry likes this.