Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Old Vancouver diners, cafes, restaurants or any other food establishments with history

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Oct 15, 2010.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

While I was thinking about the CRA, my mind drifted to thinking about the hybrid Canadian-Chinese little diners that you still see serving the same food from days long gone.

This brings me to a much broader topic, I'm interested in any establishments hat have been in business for decades and portray a sense of nostalgia. In many of them, the decor and even prices haven't changed much and the restaurants themselves are seemingly frozen in time. Years ago, I dined at Brave Bull's House of Steaks and felt like I was stepping back in time. It had a weird ambiance to it.

With the increase in food quality and authenticity due to immigration, it's easy to forget these type of places but I think they're cool just from a historical perspectives even if the food is often mediocre or downright awful.

What places do you know of resemble what I'm talking about? I fear that as more and more of these places go out of business, a little bit of Vancouver's history is lost (Save on Meats and The Only Seafoods Cafe are the two big ones that come to mind).

Brave Bull's House of Steaks - opened 1985
    Mayflower Cafe - opened 1986
    Ovaltine Cafe - opened 1942

Defunct establishments:

The Only Seafoods Cafe (originally Vancouver Oyster Saloon) - opened 1912 / closed 2009 due to drug raid
    I find conflicting information for this though, one source claims it was originally Only Fish and Chips and opened in 1921. Other sources claim it opened in 1924, but a more extensive source (article by Robert Boyd) clarifies the 1924 date as when it was taken over and became more successful.
    http://www.canadianstories.net/archives/vol8num45.html
    http://www.museumofvancouver.ca/blog.php?p=25

Save on Meats - opened 1957 / closed 2009
    http://www.straight.com/article-170703/confirmed-iconic-saveonmeats-closing

2. Panther

Panther Guest

La Bodega was opened in 1971 and is still there. Chateau Madrid upstairs of La Bodega was fine dining fair but was changed to more seating for La Bodega sometime in the early 90s.

Joe Fortes Seafood and Chop House opened in 1985 and harks back to the San Francisco Grills of the 1940s.

Cin Cin Ristorante on Robson opened in October 1990.

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Supposedly Save on Meats is back, under new ownership (so new burgers). Read it on one of the local food blogs, 604foodtography?