Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech New Google Nexus 4 more powerful than Galaxy S3 & iPhone 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Of GuardianS, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

No LTE and still no expandable microSD slot... but that is some majorly aggressive pricing. Wow.

$359 for the 16 GB and $309 for the 8 GB.

[​IMG]

3. Night Of GuardianS

No LTE and no sd card slot, but they had to strip it down for such a low price. 16GB still enough for most users like myself. Only reason my Galaxy S2 is running out of internal storage is cause I have the entire season two of Supernatural on it.

Still, iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 are like $699 outright. The new Nexus 4 is only $309 and $359. 1.5GHz quad core processor and 2GB ram is darn good for a phone that is at budget price. The Galaxy and Nexus series always get first dip on the latest android firmwares.

I might get the Nexus 4 from in two weeks. If I do then I won't be able to get that new Olympus E-PM2 camera that I want so badly. Tough decision. I gotta remember "Want vs Need". Have a bad habit of wanting new toys.

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

16GB would not be enough for me. Got too much music on my phone. It seems that 16GB is very common for phones with no SD card slot. I ran into this situation this summer when I was looking for a phone. Couldn't get the one that I really wanted (One S), so I got the SGS3 instead.

5. milquetoast

Google is likely shying away from expandable storage space to push their cloud services. Google Music is not bad for streaming provided you have unlimited data, it frees up a lot of space by holding up to 20,000 songs.

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

Google Music isn't available in Canada. It's too bad. I was ready to buy some song, but was not allowed to. I ended up buying them through Bell instead.

I'm also not so into storing everything in the cloud. With regard to music, I can see wanting to access my music at times where I have no data connection. I was on some flights this past year and I listened to my music on the plane. Google Music would not be very useful then.

So far, I haven't had the need to expand the storage on my phone. I did come close at one time to adding more storage to my old HTC Desire Z. I realised that it would not be able to hold all of my songs. I was in the process of converting all of my music to MP3 format. Luckily at the time, I kept my older Nokia N97 around. The phone sucked, but it had 2 killer features at the time: 32GB of storage and an FM transmitter. I used my N97 as my music player because I can play the songs wirelessly over my car stereo and my home portable stereo. Because of my N97, I did not get expanded storage for my phone.

I recently got a new car with BlueTooth audio and a new phone (SGS3 32GB). I put my music on my SGS3 and it plays very conveniently in my car. I still keep my N97 to play my music on my home stereo and portable stereo. Even if I do use Google Music, I doubt it would be able to manage the music on my N97.

7. Night Of GuardianS

You guys sure have lots of songs. I just listen to the same 20-30 songs over and over. 400 songs is only about 1.5GB-2GB. That's like 20-30 CDs already. I can't imagine how many songs you guys have on your phone. 16GB is more than enough storage for me. As long as I don't put a dozen movies on it that is.

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I have close to 2700 songs. That's about 11GB. I've been buying music since the 80's. Early last year, I went about converting all of my LP's, cassette tapes and CD's over to MP3 format. I like being able to shuffle my songs and play them randomly instead of playing one album at a time.

On my phone, the system seems to take up 4GB. On a 16GB phone, I would then probably only have 1GB left after putting my music on it. That is why I got a 32GB of storage.

9. milquetoast

If you have access to a US VPN or proxy you can bypass the geographical restriction. All you need to do is sign up once and then it becomes accessible without an American IP address. Hotspot Shield may work as well but it's more hit and miss.

10. maxim

maxim Guest

Hi, I'm excited for the Nexus 4 - wondering where you think is the best place I can grab one on launch day? Best buy? Futureshop?

I'm on the WIND 14 day trial period with the galaxy nexus, but I want to buy the Nexus 4 out of pocket and go with mobilicity unlimited 50% off. I may be moving so the $500 tab on WIND for the GS is not a good deal to me.

can't wait

11. Night Of GuardianS

Google Canada will sell them. No need to buy from Google USA. Local stores won't have them.

It will work for Wind, Bell, Rogers, Telus, Mobilicity, Koodo, Virgin, and Fido. It's got all the bands and frequencies to work on all Canadian networks.

12. Dingo

Dingo Guest

There are shipping costs with ordering from google directly. i thought you can get them at real stores like the nexus tablets?

btw check out these radiation levels, i'm sticking with my gnex.

Galaxy Nexus
    Head 0.43 W/kg
    Body 0.74 W/kg

Nexus 4
    Head 0.55 W/kg
    Body 1.27 W/kg

iPhone 5
    Head 1.18 W/kg
    Body 1.25 W/kg

iPhone 4
    Head 1.11 W/kg
    Body 1.18 W/kg

numbers are from http://www.apple.com/legal/rfexposure/

13. milquetoast

Should be available at local stores, otherwise it would be a colossal failure because only enthusiasts would care enough to search for it and buy it online. I'm not sure if the carriers will mark it up though, we'll just have to wait and see on November 13 :).

PS: If anyone needs a SIM card adapter, get it here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SIM-Adapters...d-SIM-Card-Adapters-iphone-5-4S-/290775091275

$2.99 for 3 adapters:
    1. Nano SIM to Micro SIM
    2. Micro SIM to Standard SIM
    3. Nano SIM to Standard SIM

14. Night Of GuardianS

I heard shipping is only about $20. Local stores here will not be carrying it this month.

15. Night Of GuardianS

Blackberry were the worse. The blackberry had some very dangerous sar rating.

16. Night Of GuardianS

BREAKING NEWS! Get LTE on Nexus 4!

We heard in the tear downs recently that there was the LTE chip in there, but it was probably ‘switched off’ as it was nearly an identical build to the Optimus G, so it was easier to leave it in, but off than change your production (that’s the theory).
    Well, apparently “switched off” is a flexible term, as it’s been found out how to enable it. Thank you XDA.
    And apparently anybody can do it. It was a trick I showed you a while back about how to ensure your phone stayed on 4G or whichever bands were strongest (I found mine often switched too easily to 2G and just stayed there).
    1. Load up the dialer
    2. punch in the following *#*#4636#*#* (essential *#*#INFO#*#*)
    3. this will bring you to a special screen with some phone settings, choose “phone info”
    4. scroll down for the ‘mode’ and you’ll see that it has something like “WCDMA preferred” click it to bring up a list to change the option, pick one with LTE
    5. wait to see if LTE is brought up
    6. done
    And don’t play with anything else in there… you can really mess up those settings.
    What’s extra awesome is that it’s only good in Canada. The LTE bands it has are the ones that are compatible with most Canadian carriers. How cool is that!?!?!
    Now, the caveat here is twofold: a) don’t mess with your other settings, you can seriously have a bad time doing that; b) I’ve found that when you reboot it defaults back to WCDMA mode, so you’ll have to redo it everytime you reboot.

androidincanada.ca