Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Jobs in shipping

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by yourdeadwright, May 20, 2016.

1. Hey folk
    I'm just looking for some advice,
    I'm 33 year old from Ireland and moving to Canada on a 2 year working visa, I'm looking to go to Vancouver
    My issues is I don't have any formal qualifications except for a few certs but I have worked in ocean freight shipping companies for over 10 years,
    I understand Vancouver port is the biggest in Canada and was wondering would I find a job with decent pay easy to come by with experience alone or would i have no chance with on degree behind me,
    I'm really moving for a change of lifestyle and try something new but i'll need a decent paid job to get by ,
    Even if you could point me to a site that could help me

2. Bill

Bill Full Member

Housing in Vancouver is so expensive, you may want to consider a cheaper city to venture into. There are cheaper cities like Port Alberni, Prince Rupert, Nanaimo in BC (being smaller cities, these ports are less busy than Vancouver) and Hamilton, Oshawa, Thunder Bay, Windsor in Ontario. There's a port in Toronto too, but Toronto housing is expensive as well.