Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech Iphone 5, D600, 6D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Of GuardianS, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Next week is very exciting. Apple might finally reveal the iphone 5. Next week is also the biggest photo event, Photokina. Only happen once every two years. Nikon will anounce a budget full frame DSLR camera for a low price of $1500, the Nikon D600. Canon will also announce the successor to their S100 advanced compact. There's a chance they might also announce a new full frame DSLR as well. Full frame will become affordable at a consumer level.

2. Joe

Joe Full Member

Thinking of buying a DLSR camera soon.

3. Night Of GuardianS

The price have dropped down on the Canon 5D mark II. I would wait till this Thursday and see what the Nikon D600 or Canon 6D has to offer. Both full frame DSLRs for $1500-$2000.

4. Joe

Joe Full Member

...but are these new models significantly better than the existing models?

I thought 5D and Mark II are already full frame sensors.

...no?

I'm just interesting in shooting video.

Seems that no one asks for skills in the high end cameras much anymore - ie XHA1S.

They just want people to know how how to use these 'Cameras in a box' - DSLRs

5. Night Of GuardianS

Well, I guess 5D mark II is good for you. Some movie scenes and tv series were filmed with it.

6. Joe

Joe Full Member

So Mr. Expert, tell me somthin' - will the release of these new cameras you've mentioned drop the prices of the existing models? like - drastically, singificantly?

And when is this new Canon camera comin' out?

Do you think the new models will be better than the existing ones?

Or is it a case of them taking out some features/components to make them cheaper?

I've found companies do that a lot.

ie - I bought this HP color laser printer a couple of years back, then they released a newer/cheaper model with a lot of the features taken out. Wasn't as good as the Old one.

But they had to do that to keep the prices down.

yeah, I'm just interested in gittin' the body, and then buyin' a cheap video lens.

One place had the body on sale for about $1400 and then a lens for shotting vidoe for about $120.

That's more my budget. I'm not plannin' to spend more than $1500 for a starter video camera/kit if I can help it.

Was interested at one time in getting the Canon XH1as, but then someone told me the sensors on their higher end DSLR cameras were just as large or larger than the video camera.

Plus I notice that there aren't many ads anymore requesting people with the videocam skills, just DSLR - which appear to be replacin' em.

7. Night Of GuardianS

$1400? Are you sure it's the mark 2? The first 5d can't do videos.

The newer models coming out are not pro cameras. They are semi-pro DSLRs that have a full frame sensor for the first time. They will be better than the 5dII cause they come with new processor, new sensor, and newer features, but yu should get the 5dII. If I'm an employer looking to hire a photographer, I would want someone with a well known pro camera. The 5dII is very well known and is used by professional industries. Some stunt scenes in the Avengers were shot with the 5DII.

8. Joe

Joe Full Member

Oh sorry, I meant
    Canon EOS 7D

As you can see, my camera literacy is pretty low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_7D

...is this the model you use for video?

9. Night Of GuardianS

7D is great camera. It's not full frame. It's a cropped body, with aps-c sensor. But the video mode is exactly the same as the 5dII.

10. Joe

Joe Full Member

So in other words, you're sayin' the 6D will be full-frame video, faster and better for that purpose?

How much is it gonna cost, and when do you think it will be released on the market?

11. Night Of GuardianS

There's a small chance Canon might announce it at Photokina this week. I know for a fact that Nikon is announcing the D600 this Thursday. I'll keep you updated. Apple is announcing the iPhone 5 tomorrow.

12. Night Of GuardianS

Rumored specs of the 6D.

We have received a larger spec list in regards to a forthcoming Canon EOS 6D. This camera will come in between the 7D and the 5D Mark III and replace the 5D Mark II

Specs:
    22MP full frame
    19 pt AF, 63 zone metering
    Single Digic 5+4.9 fps (Also heard 4.5fps)
    3 inch LCD (We’d previously heard touchscreen)
    ISO 12,800
    New battery and grip
    – new GPS and WiFi grip option.Built in ‘connectivity and sharing’ software