Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Internet Regulation Changing 'Hands' Oct 1?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Sep 30, 2016.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

So not sure if it's an Internet rumor, but it seems that US President Obama is handing over regulation and mgmt of the Internet to the UN on Oct. 1.

This could mean much more censorship because other countries do not have the 'free speech' ethos that America has.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37114313

"
    More by circumstance than intention, the US has always had ultimate say over how the DNS is controlled - but not for much longer.

It will give up its power fully to Icann - the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers - a non-profit organisation."

"The proposal will significantly increase the power of foreign governments over the Internet,” warned a letter signed by several Republican senators, including former Presidential hopeful, Ted Cruz.

the mechanic likes this.
  2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

.... yes, i heard about this too. i'm hoping that the microwave harassment i often get fried with in bed at night will perhaps conclude with this changeover. it's been getting a lot worse lately ...