Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Generation Y check in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Nov 3, 2014.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Just wondering for the Gen Y (Millenials) out there, are you satisfied with where you are life? Are you worriedÉ

Do you have a steady career job?
    Are you still in school?
    Do you own property or housing?
    Are you financially stable?

I'm around mid twenties, still in school. Job market in my field is decent but may require relocating away from Vancouver. Finances are okay but the prospect of owning a detached house is bleak though a condo or townhouse is within reach.

Thinking about my peers. A lot of them have gone back for further post-secondary after their first degree due to lack of job opportunities. Some are working entry level jobs. The majority still live with their parents but many are starting to get married and have kids. Those that own property received significant help from their parents for the downpayment and mortage. Older Gen Ys have had inheritances.

2. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

It's those foreign investors in real estate, Milquetoast. They have made real estate obscenely expensive for residents. Regular immigration in measured and screened quantities is fine, but absentee landlordism creates imbalance.

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

@Vivek it's more than that. Many baby boomers and Gen X are not retiring due to the economic downturn in 2009. I know in many professions, including my own, job opportunities are very limited in the city because people are still working in their 70s and even 80s. I know teachers in BC have it bad because of this.

There's been a lot of talk in the media about how the millenials are "Generation Screwed" so I'm wondering how people really feel.