Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Does anyone know how to get to UBC...? By Bus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lemon, Apr 30, 2011.

1. lemon

lemon New Member

I be extremely happy and grateful if you can help me.

I live by East Boulevard, very close to Magee Secondary.

I went on Translink and it says I need to take a 49, 41, and C20 to get to UBC and all of that takes 35mins. The return trip takes an hour apparently.

I am not sure if this is correct, I don't trust Translink. Can someone please help?

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Take 49 or 41, not both. Where are you heading on campus? If it's close you can just walk instead of taking the C20.

3. ema

ema Full Member

Are you f*cking shitting me? If you can make a thread, I'm sure you can read instructions.

4. milquetoast

Relax... he/she's just confirming. Translink and Google give shitty instructions sometimes.

5. ema

ema Full Member

Google maps yes, Translink is decent. I'm sure she could have checked the map too.

6. lemon

lemon New Member

The library mostly.

7. lemon

lemon New Member

No I did read them, but I just wasn't sure it would take like an hour to there.

8. milquetoast

Just take the 49 and walk there (there are a lot of libraries on campus though). Note that the 49 doesn't run all the time so you might have to walk to 41st Avenue and take the 41.

It shouldn't take an hour, probably 30-40 minutes.

Trip planners are good if you're planning a specific trip in the future at certain time. If you're planning a regular commute that is variable, it's not ideal because it doesn't account for all possible bus routes and traffic conditions.

For example: neither translink nor google will tell you about the Kerrisfail that happens along 41st westbound when parents pick up their kids from school in the area (afternoon monday to thursday, earlier on fridays). Depending on where you live, taking the suggested translink route will waste your time in that case.

9. lemon

lemon New Member

Thank you very much! I am just wondering, you seem to know your way around! Do you live around my neighborhood then?

Also, how long is the walk from 49'? Also, is the return trip with 49' as well?

10. milquetoast

^Not exactly, but I take the 49 and 41 quite a bit. Dunno about the walk, Magee should be pretty close to 49th Ave.

FYI: you can use the quick reply box rather than clicking "Reply" all the time. The "Reply" button is usually used when there's ambiguity in who you're responding to.

11. lemon

lemon New Member

Wait, so

1. The Campus is easily recognizable right? Like you just know when to get off? It isn't Winter or Fall anymore so I can't tell by an influx of students getting off at the same stop...

2. Is the return trip also 49'?

12. milquetoast

Yes and yes (unless the 49 isn't running at that hour). UBC campus is huuge and it's the last stop.

13. lemon

lemon New Member

49 Dunbar Loop? Why does Translink say it "stops"

14. milquetoast

^You want UBC Loop haha. Right, some 49/41 buses won't go all the way to UBC, so make sure the bus says UBC when you get on. Are you new in town or just not a transit person?

Ask the driver if you're unsure, they're usually pretty nice.

15. lemon

lemon New Member

Are there even 49 UBC Loops near by Magee? Is it that street where the bus come to from Langara?

At CollingWood (By IGA?)?

16. lemon

lemon New Member

I am just not a transit person who doesn't go out much

17. milquetoast

[​IMG]

:facepalm: I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling. You can easily look these things up yourself. Translink shows you all the stops, pick one near your house.

There are 2 types of buses that run along 49 going west:
    49 Dunbar Loop
    49 UBC

You want 49 UBC. UBC Loop is the name of the stop you get off at.

18. 6u-huo.l.uV

6u-huo.l.uV Moderator Staff Member

yeah. the 49 should stop close to your school. and yes, the 49 would come from langara. it should take you straight up to 41st and dunbar (near IGA). just continue on and it should take you up to ubc as well. make sure you're on the correct bus (says it's going to UBC and not dunbar loop or whatever)

19. milquetoast

20. lemon

lemon New Member

Dunbar Loop doesn't go all the way to UBC and that's why Tranlink "stops" it. 49 UBC goes all the way.

If I want to come back, it's also 49 UBC right? Sorry I really don't go out much