Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Deaf Mail Carrier scared me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, May 2, 2014.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Ok, so this morning i hear a bangng on my door. It scared me because normally i will be buzzed if someone wants to enter the building to see me so just hearing a banging is unnerving. Of course i yell "who is it" and then when there is no reply i get more alarmed and run to look through the peephole. I see the Canada Post badge so I open the door and he points to his hearing aid.

Now of course he should have his job BUT can he not be trained to call out 'Canada Post' after banging on people's doors?

the mechanic likes this.
  2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... thanks for posting this, flutterby ...

...the policy i always abide by when it comes to people trying to deliver mail to me by hand is to refuse it. i've found that in every case where someone is trying to deliver mail to me in person it's fraudulent garbage from attorneys or the government -- it's never anything i want to look at, that's for sure. hand deliveries are a classic harassment technique use by lawyers and government officials ...

3. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Well if i order from Amazon or something, what happens is i get a buzz from the building entrance, i say hello and they say Canada Post and then i let them in the building, and thats fine. But obviously, the hearing inpaired carrier cannot buzz because he cannot hear me talk to him over the speaker.

Maybe a news release like on the news about disabled carriers ie. on the news or an article in the newspaper?
    It was very creepy to be literally right behind the door saying " who is it....who is it?" and have no response.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... thanks for replying, flutterby ...

... what do you think? should they use deaf people for by hand (in person) mail delivery? or should a deaf person's handicap disqualify them from getting that job? seems to me that mail carriers who are going to be interacting with the public should have the ability to communicate fully with customers, unencumbered by handicaps ...