Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Chinese Butcher smoking a cigarette in Chinatown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Feb 15, 2015.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

This picture is making the rounds and it's generating a lot of discussion (and unfortunately racism as well). What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

It looks like Dollar Meat Store on Pender but I'm not sure.

2. jj_mac

jj_mac Guest

it's not just asian places... i used to work at boston pizza as a waitress and the kitchen staff there would always smoke while cooking your food. the managers didn't give a shit but this was a few years ago.

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Same thing with the cooks at Kent's Kitchen on 41st and Victoria.

4. ema

ema Full Member

I think what annoys me about this picture is more about how it was taken and being shared on the Internet. I think the person taking this photo should have confronted the man if they felt that they were uncomfortable with it.

5. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I'm glad you posted this. And thanks for the warning. This should be reported to the Food Inspection Dept. (if there is one that is...) It is gross and it has nothing to do with race. This is a food hygiene issue.

https://www.vch.ca/your_environment/feedback/environmental_health_feedback

I don't know why they call this a 'feedback' form. Typical confusing bureaucratic b.s. Probably why this type of thing happens in the first place.

6. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Nothing to do with race, but it may indeed have to do with culture. People from poorer places like China or India are forced to live in shabbier conditions than those in Canada. After settling in Canada they need to learn that various things tolerable in the old country cannot be done in the new one.