Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

where to live in vancouver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeh41988, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jeh41988

jeh41988 New Member

i live in michigan :'( recently the u.s government has been hassling me to get duel citizenship. screw that. time to move back to the mother ship. so i thought i might move to burnaby or downtown vancouver. however, finding a flat that's less than 700 dollars has been difficult. i tried classifieds, craigslist, and those rental mini-magazines you get at safeway. nothing in my price range. i flew out to vancouver to try and 'pound the pavement', and still couldn't find anything between 300 and 600 dollars. i want something small and inexpensive so i can blow my paycheck on finishing my quarter sleeve and not rent. if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

-justine

2. pjbc

pjbc New Member

try rentbc.com

3. balleballe

balleballe New Member

Vancouver city is usually expensive, but subarbs like richmond, burnaby new west, surrey are bt cheaper

4. o

o Junior Member

:( i don't think there are places that cheap right now
    5 years ago a bachelor apartment was $550 in new west
    now it must went up a lot
    you may be able to find a ...shared ... a room in a house for around $550 ... not a single apartment though

5. hippychix

hippychix New Member

surrey is probably the right place also closer to skytrain for travel

6. jcrow

jcrow New Member

As the others have said, trying to find something for that little is going to be tough, and probably impossible in Vancouver proper. If you find something at the other end of the skytrain line (Surrey Central or King George stations) you might have some luck, and avoid having to drive over the bridges to downtown (a traffic nightmare).

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

If you can read Chinese or have a friend who does, try looking through the classifieds in local Chinese newspapers. The rental rates are often cheaper (at least a few years ago).