Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students Question about White Rock and Maple Ridge public schools

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by mofro, Oct 18, 2010.

1. mofro

mofro Junior Member

Hey, my wife and I have zeroed in on White Rock and Maple Ridge as the two places will likely buy a house. We are curious if anyone grew up in that area and what they can tell us about the public school system.

Thanks

2. ema

ema Full Member

White Rock is BETTER than Maple Ridge.

As for the school systems, White Rock is more of the rich people and Maple Ridge is still crap imo.
    So chances are the school system in White Rock is better. Although, I am highly against public schools. lol

3. ton

ton Guest

And where do you live??
    you sound like an idiot, moderator

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

A school full of rich people is a sure-fire way for your kids to grow up in a snobby environment. Btw, does anybody know if teachers are younger on average at suburban schools? I'd think they'd be since new grads from teaching programs tend to get jobs there rather than Vancouver proper.

I don't know why you'd be against public schools, private schools have their own problems because there's a lack of socioeconomic diversity. While a lot of people that go to private school turn out fine, I know plenty that end up spoiled and naive of issues that don't affect the upper class. I remember a VC student that thought public schools were full of rowdy students that threw paper balls at the teacher because that's what he saw on TV and movies.

5. ema

ema Full Member

Sorry but please do not quote Vancouver College and call that a private school. It's a religious school, not a private school. Get your facts straight, snobbiness is also brought by how their parents bring them up. I attended a public school and honestly I still think the public school system is crap. People need to stop categorizing that private school kids are snobby because they do in fact travel to places such as Kenya, etc. and they learn how to appreciate the value of money. Well to the ones that are naive and spoiled, they won't really last in the real world. It's because of them that private school kids have a bad name because from what I recall, all the private schools in BC do stress on being well-rounded and many students take opportunities to go to China, Kenya, etc. and learn to appreciate.

6. milquetoast

^It's a religious private school lol. You should look up the definition of private school, they call them independent schools as well. By definition, VC would be classified as a private school. Religious schools would be a subset of private schools. If you check the VC website, they refer to themselves as a private school in some places.

The point I was trying to make is that independent schools have their own problems. Either way, smart decent kids will thrive under both public and private education.

7. ema

ema Full Member

Chances are you'll have more kids who need help than already smart kids, so with lack of resources they struggle.
    That's true but public schools also lack many resources and I still find that in a private school environment they're given more room to reach their potential. Sorry but as much as they call themselves private schools, my point is that they focus more on religion than education.

8. milquetoast

^Whether or not they focus more on education or religion doesn't matter :p. By definition, they are a private school. IIRC, private schools get public funding as well... something like 50% of what public schools get?

Yes, schools like St. George's and the like will have more resources (they have freaking carpet in their foyer) but I would argue that the students who need the resources the most will never be able to afford the tuition at these places, it's more than university. People joke about how their tuition is actually lower at the post secondary level.

My biggest gripe with private schools is still the lack of diversity. Sure, some will go off and volunteer in Africa for a few months... but to me, that's a piss poor substitute for attending school with other socioeconomic class groups for 5-13 years. Upper middle class and upper class individuals represent a very small portion of society; being in an environment lacking the rest of society could (and I stress could because it's not a problem for some) hinder an individual's understanding of reality outside the higher echelon of society.

9. ema

ema Full Member

Yeah I joke about it LOL because in fact UBC's tuition is lower than what my parents had to pay for high school. Well, that's not true per se those like you said who are "smart" can get full scholarships to attend those schools. Especially in Canada where your grades can get you money. St. George's for example offers a full scholarship if you do have the smarts.

Religious schools pay less than your St. George's, Mulgrave, York House, Crofton etc.
    That's not true, private schools receive less than that so they focus on fundraising events yearly.

10. milquetoast

Found some info on private school funding... it's 35-50% which is certainly not chump change. So with independent schools receiving public funding, charging tuition and holding fundraisers, they shouldn't be short on money at all. If it were up to me, I'd redirect some of the funds to public school since they obviously need it.

11. ema

ema Full Member

^Sorry, but public schools have utilities etc. paid by the government. Private schools don't get that, they need to be able to pay for themselves and as well as, private schools are non-profit organizations.