Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Community Safety officers...not quite the police

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Sep 1, 2013.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

did anyone else hear about this on the news?

yesterday when we drove by a small collision in Vancouver we noticed that Community Safety officers attended, not police.

i dont even know what their powers are. if civillians can technically make an arrest then im sure these people can but maybe they cant carry weapons. anyway i thought the description was kinda vague. i guess well learn more with time.

mods, cant post the link again. yellow arrows come up

2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... let's see, vancouver has the rcmp, the vpd, transit police -- and now you say there are these community police too. what this means is vancouver is a dirty ghetto infested with scum and these scum called police should be eradicated ...

3. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

all im saying is it would have been nice to have them introduced to the public via the news or something. people are gonna be confused as to the scope of their powers etc.

4. the mechanic

... flutterby, why do you believe they are not the police as you stated in your title?

5. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

if you check the VPD website, it talks about how these people are not trained as long as police and that they will be handling lower level police duties to free up the police for more high end crime i guess.

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

exactly, and this is the confusion. are they the Police or not? anyways i never saw a news bite on it, never read about it in the paper or CBC.

7. the mechanic

... yes, if they are part of the vancouver police department there are MOST DEFINITELY police. calling them "safety officers" is a lie and proves that the vancouver police deliberately mislead the public ...

... thus, the police are scum ...

8. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

vancouver.ca/police/recruiting/community-safety-personnel/

dont know why i cant past links with ipad anymore

9. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

may not be a bad thing. i mean young people wont have to be trained as long before getting employed and maybe these people will be less high strung. i just would have liked to be informed, like....on the news. thers other news on the site like mental health cars with psych nurses to assess people.

10. the mechanic

... police are scum and everyone knows it. that's why they're using phony names like "community officers" for them -- nobody wants the VPD anywhere near them ...

... thanks for the heads up, flutterby ...

11. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

drivers arent really trained to pull to the side for a speeding Community Safety officer and the car wasnt as readily identifiable as a police car is. i am presuming tho that drivers are expected to pull to the side for this new division as well? i emailed a city councillor about it who told me the VPD is not under city governance and that the media "decides" what sories it wants to run. So.......who is responsible for getting the word out about these or other news items?

12. the mechanic

... the city councillor lied to you, flutterby. everybody knows the VPD are hired by, and answer to, the city ...

13. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

It's like the pigs known as security guards. Nobody likes to listen to those brown guys.

14. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Are you referring to these guys?
    [​IMG]

If so, they're volunteers.

15. Henry

Henry Junior Member

16. the mechanic

... holy smokes! you're right! they don't look like the police at all. that is totally ILLEGAL for the police to DISGUISE themselves as volunteers. yet another shady government scheme exposed!

17. Bine

Bine Full Member

Eventually something bad will happen to one of these volunteers. One will be seriously injured by over-stepping their bounds or the city will get sued because one of these under-trained apes assaults or injures a civilian.

It is an accident waiting to happen.

18. the mechanic

... you are absolutely right, Bine. plus, i question the "volunteer" designation. i bet they're just pigs on the VPD payroll falsely claiming to be volunteers ...

Night Of GuardianS likes this.
  19. Bine

Bine Full Member

I just can't see anything good come of this.

20. Larry

Larry Guest

I do see something good about this, they don't carry stun gun, not long ago in toronto a police officer killed an 80 year old woman with a stun gun :(