Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Entertainment BOOKWORMS!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ema, Jun 19, 2010.

1. ema

ema Full Member

Any fave reads which you can go read over and over?
    I can't be the only one who enjoys reading here!

My highly recommended reads to all:
    More girly-Where Rainbow Ends by Cecelia Ahern
    [​IMG]
    **If you've always wondered about childhood love and best friends becoming lovers. Check this book out, two best friends are separated but even growing apart. They've realized that they weren't just best friends, they also had feelings for each other. So what do you do? Do you confront your best friend or just wait?

Interesting-Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh
    [​IMG]
    **How does a man manage to have 3 wives? Know all of their secrets but they do not know of his? Why did these 3 intelligent women fall for him, what did he have?

Autobiography-Yakuza Moon by Shoko Tendo
    [​IMG]
    **Shoko Tendo grew up in a rich yakuza family until her father was arrested. All the family friends turned their face to become strangers. She tells her story of how she tried to change and how much pain her mother was going through. From nearly dying after having intercourse to having to abort her child. It's a heart-breaking story.

Gender neutral-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    [​IMG]
    **Interesting read of the time when Hitler was in power. The story alternates between a little girl's POV and Death's POV. Funny remarks from Death which makes the book haha funny. To sum it up, the story is how Death observes this little girl taking care of a wanted person in her basement. How touching the little girl's descriptions can be.

Alrighty, The Catcher in the Rye-J.D. Salinger
    I switched schools before my teacher started us on this as novel study in English, but I read it on my own and liked it.
    The Time Traveler's Wife-Audrey Niffenegger
    I think it starts off a bit dry then you go through the book and there's this hype. I'd give this a so-so read, it's not the greatest book out there and the movie dragged it down even more. The overall thought of story is great but just the descriptions lacked detail.
    The Twilight Series-Stephenie Meyer
    I think I wasted money on this series. Eclipse was nice but with all of her books, there's so much junk. She gives you small snippets of nice imagery then goes back to Edward and Bella is talking. Not worth the read unless you wanted to follow up what the hype is about.

I'll rummage through my bookshelf some more but those are off the top of my head.
    SUGGEST SOME NEW READINGS!
    Edit at 10:14PM:
    OH! Something popped into my head, A BOOK WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD READ.
    Sex, Lies and Handwriting-Michelle Dresbold
    [​IMG]
    What does your handwriting say about you? Are you a killer, or are you slightly psychotic? Do you love your dad more than your mom? Take a read to find out :) I really enjoyed the book although it's a bit boring at times with her just talking about her experience at work.

2. 6u-huo.l.uV

6u-huo.l.uV Moderator Staff Member

i've got a collection of books, that i want to read in the future (i've had them for a long time now and should probably read them because it IS the "future" from when i got them. huh.)
    anyway, in my collection are a couple books by kurt vonnegut. i've never re-read anything in my collection, but "cat's cradle" was a pretty good book. maybe i can start "slaughterhouse five"..

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Have to admit that I'm not a reader, at least with books. My last novel was during first year English. I like to read online though.

That said, I do have a "to read list" that I will probably never get to.

Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential
    Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
    Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory

Yeah..not exactly fiction haha.

4. ema

ema Full Member

The last one looks interesting. I have a book shelf full of books that I just buy and haven't read yet.
    So I'm looking for those easy summer reads like
    1001 facts that will scare the shit out of you.

**lol I also have a folder of e-Books which I read on my 10 inch laptop but it's a hassle. I prefer books in physical format.

Those lazy easy facts book! Any one?

5. milquetoast

Are you going to get one of those e-ink ebook readers? The kindle is kind of expensive, but I hear Chapter's Kobo is a good deal. It would make it easy to read during commutes (if you're able to without feeling nauseous).

6. ema

ema Full Member

^ Haha, don't think so! I like being able to feel/touch the paper. And I enjoy shopping for bookmarks :p

7. milquetoast

Was at Chapters the other day and saw "1000 Awesome Things", which I find kind of dry to read as a blog..so I'm not sure how the book version would fair.... but it did remind me of "Stuff White People Like".

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Used to read it religiously and then forgot about it for over a year, they have a book version.

Also saw this, looked pretty interesting from the few pages I read. http://www.amazon.com/Book-General-Ignorance-John-Mitchinson/dp/0307394913/ref=pd_ts_b_6?ie=UTF8&s=books

[​IMG]

8. lwza

lwza Junior Member

I really liked Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes
    [​IMG]

and

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, which is a translation from the original French novel
    [​IMG]

and a play called The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh.

9. ema

ema Full Member

Have you read The Charming Man by Marian Keyes? If you have, how was it?

10. mangopudding

mangopudding New Member

I used to read so much, I don't know what happened. Up until grade 10, I went to the library every other month and I would check out a whackload of books. I think the internet corrupted me. The only books I read now are ones that are mandatory for school, and even then I don't always read them yet still manage to whip up an essay about it and do well.

Anyways, 2 books I recently read for school that I liked:

[​IMG]
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.
    Left me extremely confused for most of the book because it feels like you're reading a giant compilation of stories of events that have happened, but once you reach the end and it all comes together you get that satisfying feeling that you understand what's going on finally.

[​IMG]
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
    I think I teared a bit at the end of this book. It was touching (if my 2am memory serves my correctly)

This thread is going to help me spend the Indigo gift cards my school gave me, haha.

11. lwza

lwza Junior Member

Yeah, I've read The Charming Man (and all her other books). It was OK, but not as great as her other books. Her latest one, The Brightest Star in the Sky, was slightly better. Her plots seem to be getting more political.