Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

A touchy topic. I want your honest opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LucyM11, Apr 2, 2013.

1. LucyM11

LucyM11 Junior Member

By handing out welfare/disability cheques to the street people of the Downtown East Side Vancouver, do you think the Government of British Columbia is feeding the problem there or solving it?

Someone once told me that Skid Row Vancouver us an actual tourist attraction. That people from across the globe come to Vancouver for a glimpse at the notorious downtown east side...among other sights of course. How true is this and do you think that may be a reason why the municipality is not interested in cleaning it up because it helps the economy?

2. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Perhaps give them money for like 9 months so they can get a place to stay and be clean and get a job.

People on this forum are going to argue with this of course.

3. Joe

Joe Full Member

Not sure - I suppose we can just deny them all welfare, and then we'll become just like Mexico where people congregate in gangs, crime becomes a means of making a living & people shoot each other in the street. Yes, there's a price to pay for all these welfare recipients, but there's also one for being too mean & tight-fisted as well. You reap what you sow.

Same time, the living conditions are pretty horrid down there. Some street people prefer to sleep on the sidewalks in the nicer parts of the city rather than live in the DTES. Likewise, if skunks and raccoons prefer to live in the nicer parts of town, I'm sure this applies to the homeless as well.

Night Of GuardianS likes this.
  4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... solving the problem. why not help people in need?