Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Working Visa looking for a job ASAP!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Marieanne, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Marieanne

Marieanne New Member

Hi All,

I'm here on a visa for 1 year and have been actively looking for a job since I got here ( 2 months ago) and nothing has stirred. Had a few interviews with companies direct and approx 6 agencies.Starting to think the Agencies are a waste of time because I haven't got one call back from them for anything be it temp / permanent. I can understand not getting a permanent position as I am only here for a certain duration.

I'm now in the position after saving my money for the past 6 months to get here that I may have to return home.My last option before I throw in the towel is maybe moving to Calgary as there seems to be way too much competition in Vancouver.

If anyone has any advice or know anything going ( long shot) I would be very grateful!?

The jobs I am mainly looking for is office based admin, clerical etc as this is my background environment and experience.

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I'm not familiar with work visas, are you restricted to certain fields? If not, you could take any random minimum wage job while you look.

3. Marieanne

Marieanne New Member

The only restriction is working in childcare / health industry but that doesn't apply to me anyway.That's the thing I have been applying to them also and nadda!

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Try http://www.bcjobs.ca/, they posted a bunch of office admin jobs recently. Good luck!
    Maybe don't specify that you're only interested in a temporary position unless you're asked directly.

5. batot

batot New Member

Vancouver sucks and general speaking Canada as well , I have been here for 6 years now with two Masters degrees , and nothing solid so far , I bet if you tried any small African nation , they will have much better jobs than here
    I am a Canadian citizen by the way and don't recommend people looking for work here , it is frustrating , humiliating and very disappointing