Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Finances & Real Estate Will the riot affect real estate prices in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Jun 19, 2011.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I wonder how housing costs and desirability among international buyers will be affected by the 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup riot (as named by wikipedia).

Admin note - split from the "Mainland Chinese Buying West Vancouver" thread - FV

2. APReal

APReal Junior Member

I started that same topic on the real estate forums at buzz buzz home. Most people seemed to think it won't have a big effect.
    http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=561

I've seen business as usual so far this week, but wouldn't be surprised to see a small effect considering how much investment in RE here is foreign. Will be interesting to see what other agents in the office say tomorrow as it's the first Monday morning meetings since the riots.

3. milquetoast

I've been seeing quotes of a 24% drop in prices after the 1994 riot, but haven't really looked for a source. A decline of 24% could mean very different things depending on time frame, area... etc. There was less foreign real estate investment back then so one would expect a larger decrease this time around.

4. APReal

APReal Junior Member

a decline of 24% would be enormous! There's no chance this will cause anything like that.

5. milquetoast

So, any blips on the real estate radar :)?

6. APReal

APReal Junior Member

Nope, nothing yet & doesn't seem like anything will be coming.
    Real estate aside, it feels like the city has moved on and the riot won't have any major lasting effects IMO. There was already a national survey released today that put Vancouver as Canada's nicest city.