Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Why do rich Asians and Persians flaunt their wealth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edge, Sep 27, 2014.

1. edge

edge Guest

I notice that wealthy Mainlanders and Persians like to show off their wealth a lot compared to the old money old timers on the west side. Why is this?

Old rich white guys are low key. Asians and Persians dress to the nines, flash their Rolex and Patek watches, drive Lambos to community college and buy their kids luxury mansions.

BragDeal and the mechanic like this.
  2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... it's a cultural thing perhaps?

BragDeal likes this.
  3. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

Iranians they aren't P*rs**ns they are Iranians.

4. edge

edge Guest

aren't they interchangeable?

5. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

No there is no place called Persia hasn't been for ages.

6. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

In Chinese culture, there's the concept of face (wikipedia) that plays a huge role in the extravagant displays. I don't know if Iranians have something similar.

Stuntman likes this.
  7. the mechanic

... i've always thought of the two terms as basically the same too ...

8. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

9. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

From my understanding, Persians are people who liked their country better before it became an Islamic state.

10. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Partly, it could be the nouveau riche syndrome. And partly a cultural thing. When I lived with relatives in India as a young man, among the many things about that morbid civilization which disgusted me was the way wealthy and powerful Indians wore their status and wealth on their sleeves.

I guess this mentality is the result of a class-ridden society. Western society is more democratic and egalitarian, so showing off and pomposity are scorned. Whereas in societies with feudalistic traditions, they are actually valued.

the mechanic likes this.
  11. the mechanic

... sounds very likely. especially in trendy vancouver where displaying one's affluence is the norm. i think most races are guilty of it ...

12. Rahul Malik

Rahul Malik New Member

because they had enough money to show of...

13. milquetoast

There's an ancient Chinese proverb: 富不过三代 meaning wealth does not last more than three generations.

Similar expressions exist in other cultures so the concept seems universal:
    "The first generation builds the business, the second makes it a success, and the third wrecks it."
    "There are but three generations from shirt-sleeves to shirt-sleeves."
    "From clogs to clogs in three generations."

14. Flatulence4U

Flatulence4U Guest

Is so shameful to Own a Rolex, I have one with diamonds and always hide it under my sleeve, this way I won't make anyone jealous, the thing I can't hide is My Lamborghini I have to use it to go from My room to the swimming pool in My house and My servants from Vancouver have to see it and they always complain that they have to walk all the way from the kitchen to the dinner table, You don't find good servants anymore nowdays:mad:

15. ema

ema Full Member

I know what you mean. I had to use my segway to get from my room to the kitchen, but the elevators were down and I had to go take the stairs. LOL …I can't even. :p

16. milquetoast

17. Vivek Golikeri

The nationality is Persian. The national pastime is subversion.

18. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

I have to say I agree with you. In Asian countries, especially in Korea, Japan, China & India, poor people has no dignity, no respect from others, people think you are poor because you are lazy or not smart enough to get yourself a better life. wealth shows you are smart, success, people respect you, you get better service wherever you go. Rich people show their money to claim their success, social class and achievments, in order to get respect and better service.

19. Bill

Bill Full Member

It will be like people calling themselves Romans.

Romans and Persians are ancient.

20. Vivek Golikeri

I agree with most of what you say, but I am not so sure that it also applies to Japan. Japan is a developed country with an educated middle class. Indeed, I tend to think that Japan takes better care of its ordinary citizens than America does, what with all the homelessness here.