Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Why do Asian places use styrofoam take out containers upside down?

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Mar 16, 2013.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

This has puzzled me for a long time. Every time I get take out or pack a meal to go, more often than not, they put the food on the wrong side of the sytrofoam take out box.

It doesn't only happen at Chinese restaurants, here's a take out container from Sushi Garden.

This is the bottom, which they think is the top.
    [​IMG]

This is the top, which they think is the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Seems to be all ethnic or Asian restaurants. Though, "white" places don't really use these type of containers so it could be sampling bias. Has anyone else noticed this or am I crazy? o_O

I'm making an assumption with these styrofoam clamshell boxes that the decorative pattern goes on top with the insert tab at the bottom. Maybe I'm the one that's wrong orientation-wise.

2. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

They just quickly put your food in them. They don't check if they're upside down.

3. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

I think it's because it's probably easier and quicker to lose the top?...quickly pushing the top inward rather than holding going over the top and making sure it goes into the tiny slit.

cheeseshredder likes this.