Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

what was the medical emergency at brentwood skytrain station?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedactedProfile, Mar 1, 2016.

1. RedactedProfile

RedactedProfile New Member

Unlike most news that happens, I haven't been able to find any information at all about it. Just "Skytrains have halted at Brentwood due to medical emergency. Update: service has resumed". Surely, someone saw something, and surely it was a big enough event to warrant the fire and police dept :\ Just curious is all, anybody know anything? Like I said I can usually within a reasonable amount of time dig something up to satisfy my curiosity about events and things that happen in the news, but this time im drawing a complete blank, there's not even any tweets I've been able to uncover within the timerange of the event

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Usually in that context, it means it was related to a suicide attempt. the media have a policy against reporting on suicidal attempts because there's been evidence to suggest that copycat suicides increase.

as an aside: there's been evidence that responsible reporting of such events decreases suicide rates. ie: encouraging people suffering to seek support with a list of resources. the Canadian Psychiatric Association has a guideline on suicide and media reporting. in the age of social media where people are quick to tweet about anything they see, i think it's increasingly important for the media to implement these guidelines. every time a "medical emergency" happens on the Skytrain, twitter and reddit light up with discussion but without much in terms of availability of mental health resources and how to access them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuntman likes this.