Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

What Is Your Tolerance For Listening To Objectionable People?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Oct 10, 2014.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... lately i've been trying to increase my tolerance for listening to and reading material that i don’t agree with ...

... where really this comes up for me is in the news. i consider mainstream media news to be nothing more than objectionable government propaganda and i hate it. listening to it makes me so enraged i just have to turn it off immediately. but now i'm trying to be more patient with it and i try to listen to it without getting angry, for analytical purposes you could say. the news basically lets you know how the government thinks ...

... what about you? what's your tolerance level for reading and hearing stuff that you don’t agree with or find offensive?

... and i don't just mean objectionable material in the media, but stuff you might hear from other people in person and in social media like on this site?

... comments?

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I view myself as pretty open minded but I'm finding myself being less so with age. A bit worrisome. Tolerance and patience are good virtues to have.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... thanks for your reflective reply, milquetoast! :up:

4. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I have practically zero patience or endurance for fools. I have sometimes landed in trouble for candidly telling somebody that all his airy-fairy clap-trap is merely the back end of a horse.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... lol. thanks for your comment, Vivek! :up:

... i sometimes find that listening to objectionable material on TV and radio can give me a negative, headache-like physical reaction in my brain. it's like the device is hitting me with an electrical jolt at the same time as i'm listening to it ...

6. Mr Smith

Mr Smith New Member

I can't bring myself to listen to any kind of crap which I don't agree with. The last straw, so to say, was when I read an expose [not on one of those mainstream publications] which laid bare the whole truth. Journalists can't tell the truth. Even if they tried to, the brain-washed editors can still refuse to print the article written. So these days I'd rather get my news from other sources. They may not be accurate but least, I know no one is trying to deliberately lie to me.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. the mechanic

... oh man, the mainstream media is a joke. the news all comes directly from the governemnt. it's just propaganda. think of newscasts as informercials purchased by the government as opposed to anything resembling legitimate journalism ...

... thanks for your comment, Mr Smith ...

8. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Up to a point, I can understand if the person has been through a lot. But that way, everyone on Earth has their reasons and their root causes! Sorry. If I wasted my time trying to understand the viewpoint of every weirdo who tries my patience, I would explode. I just put a fence around myself, and read the riot act to anyone who refuses to respect it.

You May Also Like...

1. What are you listening to? by milquetoast