Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Finances & Real Estate What is the best idea to invest $50K.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by van7, Jun 21, 2013.

1. van7

van7 Junior Member

I have a cash of $50K, and I would like to invest them somewhere, what ideas you have in mind?

2. lumix

lumix Full Member

Do you prefer high risk or low risk?

3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... high risk or low risk, doesn't make a difference. the best thing to do with 50k is purchase municipal or bank bonds. you'll make some money every year and you won't lose anything. it ain't that exciting but it's the best way to go ...

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

What type of time frame did you have in mind? ie: when do you need to access that money - 5 years, 10 years?

Bonds haven't been worthwhile for decades. You'll get more out of any decent high interest savings account. If the interest rate is lower than inflation, you are essentially "losing money" because the net purchasing power of your money will go down.

5. the mechanic

... well, if not bonds that leaves equities, milquetoast, which can, and often do, go down in value -- to nothing even. and if this person is investing this money in a registered retirement savings account there's nothing more painful than paying tax when you withdraw on an investment that's lost value ...

... anyone who says you should dismiss bonds out of hand shouldn't be consulted regarding finances ...

6. milquetoast

Have you heard of savings accounts? index funds? Some of the key financial principles are to diversify and to know your risk tolerances.

7. the mechanic

... no i've never heard of savings accounts. what is a savings account, milquetoast?

... i'll concede that a savings account could be the way to go, but you can certainly find a medium-term bank or municipal bond that can outperform a savings account. however, index funds, like mutual funds, nail you with onerous, hidden management fees. NEVER purchase mutual funds of any kind, they're a total rip off. mutual funds are for chumps. how do i know? found out the hard way ...

8. van7

van7 Junior Member

High risk.

9. van7

van7 Junior Member

But I think those bonds will not give me high yield!

10. van7

van7 Junior Member

I was thinking of a small project or a partnership with someone somewhere in BC rather than a banking equity or bond.

11. van7

van7 Junior Member

When I watch the dragons den, I sometimes see great ideas, and sometimes I wish I can get in contact with some of those participants.

12. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

13. the mechanic

... another great low risk investment vehicle, still in the fixed income realm, are GICs. you can buy them retail at any bank ...

... as far as a high risk investment outside of the financial services community is concerned, you could lend the cash out ...

14. milquetoast

I don't know how far 50k will take you but it sounds like you want to become an angel investor of sorts for start ups? There are some local angel investor groups that can be found on google. I think they might pool their money together and/or provide networking opportunities. I have no personal experience in this area so take my advice with a grain of salt.

For less risky endeavours, I find http://www.financialwebring.org/forum/ to be a good resource.

Not always the case. TD e-Series Funds are low cost and popular for couch potato portfolios.

15. the mechanic

... td bank has been convicted of mass criminal misconduct in the united states where the authorities actually regulate the industry, unlike canada. avoid this corrupt bank ...

Night Of GuardianS likes this.
  16. Dan2233

Dan2233 Guest

Right, didn't their banking system collapse in 2008? It would have been even more catastrophic then what is if it wasn't for tarp trouble asset relief program.

17. Boyvan

Boyvan Junior Member

Without asking you too many questions - If I were you, investment property is always a good idea. Put a down payment and let someone else pay your mortgage for you. In 15-20 years, it will be paid off and after that you will have extra income (rental) coming in. This of course is not liquid asset but if you don't need the cash then you can't go wrong. Once enough equity is build then you can buy your second property. It is safe....the only risk is trouble makers and that is why you have property management companies. Some of them charge only $80-$100 and this fee is a tax write off as well.
    Good Luck :D

18. John Smith

John Smith New Member

You should see your self what are your needs. If you dont need to buy anything you simple invest that somewhere. Somewhere you feel secure and benificial. And again it depends on you where you will like to invest , as you have your own way of thinking.

19. Arhsub

Arhsub New Member

According to my knowledge, Real estate is a good business for any investment.
    I'm also doing Real Estate business and it gives me a better profit than other businesses.

20. Victor Rodrigo

Victor Rodrigo New Member

The question is what you look for ? long term investment or short term speculation.
    1. Do not invest into any financial firm like Bank, Bond, US Stock Market or any paper assets
    2, Do not keep your money in the bank.
    3 Invest abroad or Commodities, Agriculture, Gold, Silver
    5 , I would avoid real estate except some luxury properties...