Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students UBC Medical School Admissions

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by anonymouse87, Jan 7, 2012.

1. anonymouse87

anonymouse87 Guest

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:55 AM
    ASC: Final Selection – Associate Dean, Admissions

Dear Dr. Finkler,

Although this is rather late coming, we feel we must express our deep concern over the ineffectiveness of the ASC Final Selection meetings last month.

While a number of weak applicants with a series of flags were accepted into the program, strong ones with single, minor flags were rejected. The most serious and inexplicable case was ------------------------- ------------- --------- ---------- and highest ranked applicant ever rejected by ASC.

We feel there are a number of reasons to explain these results, generally arising from what seems to us as your disengagement with the entire Admissions process. Because you were on vacation a week and a half before Final Selection you were not involved in the preparation of files for the meeting. It was worrisome to us that you did not ask questions either before leaving or upon your return about the files or the review process. As a result, it was apparent during the meetings that you were under-prepared and several issues arose. One example is when you did not realize that you were presenting the first two applicant files nor had you prepared them. You had to review the files on the spot, which got the meetings off to a rocky start.

Our primary concern, however, regards the leadership of the meetings. It was dismaying for us to see you online and answering e-mails while files were being discussed as we felt the role of the chair was to facilitate the discussion and aid the decision making process. At one point you left the meeting in the middle of a serious discussion. At other points you appeared to fall asleep during the discussion. This led to some files with minor flags being discussed in length while others with major issues were rushed. Additionally, because a proper schedule was not maintained, the committee had to review twice as many files on the second day despite their equal difficulty.

A great deal of time and effort was put in by the Admissions staff to present this committee with our best work. To see the committee flounder and make decisions the way they did was discouraging. To watch our leader present us in the ways stated above was both distressing and somewhat embarrassing. We feel that this meeting encapsulates your approach to the work of Admissions in general. We have a very good team who work very hard. We do not want this hard work to be frittered away.

--------------------
    ----------------------
    ------------------
    ------------------------

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Sounds fake. There's someone on premed101 spamming it, is that you?

3. vfmp2014

vfmp2014 Guest

There might be some truth to this after all. Dr. Finkler is no longer listed as Associate Dean of Admissions according to this page.

MD Undergraduate Program, Admissions: Dr. Bruce Fleming (Interim)

4. milquetoast

Curiouser and curiouser...

5. Laura

Laura New Member

@Anonymouse, The Ubyssey (UBC's student newspaper) would be very interested in contacting you about the contents of your post. Your identity won't be revealed unless you explicitly state that you'd like it to be. Please get in touch at lrodgers at ubyssey dot ca or at 604-822-2301.

6. milquetoast

Nepotism and knowing the right people have no place in medical school admissions. This is concerning but not surprising due to UBC Med's lack of transparency with their admissions process.

7. interested??

interested?? Guest

anon ... could u publish the names of those rejected with minor flags, but otherwise strong... spell them incorrectly/with blanks so that only thhose affected would recognize names... what were these minor flags??

8. milquetoast

I think anon was a one time poster that's unlikely to stumble back here. What are you concerned about specifically? I've been through the process and have been on premed101 since ~2006 so I pretty much know all the rumoured flags.

9. Admissions Fairness? Leaked documents
    I am a CBC investigative reporter who has been sent leaked documents that suggest potential unfairness in admissions process, where students with much lower academic scores are accepted to the NMP. I do not know if this is a story but I have what appeares to be last year's complete list of rankings.

It shows many exceptions were made, and one student with a GPA average of 70 got in, another with an MCAT conversion score of 62 got in, while ranked 505 of all 689 applicant interviewed.

If anyone believes I should pursue this as a news story for CBC TV please email me directly at [email protected]

I will not publish anyone's name without their consent. I am loking for students willing to speak publicly.

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62195

10. ema

ema Full Member

Not trying to be a b*tch but exactly what RealTalk on premed101 said. Say what?

11. milquetoast

With all these alleged leaks that seem to tie together, it is looking rather suspicious for UBC. Someone on the inside must be trying to expose something.

1. Leaked letter exposing flaws in admission process, followed by resignation of the Admissions Dean.
    2. Allegations of favouritism and preferential treatment which caused the Admissions Director to resign.
    3. Leaked rank list with confidential information showing that exceptions were made?

With UBC's admissions criteria being so cryptic, maybe all this attention (warranted or not) will force them to be more open about what goes behind closed doors?

TIN FOIL HAT ON.

[​IMG]

12. milquetoast

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

There are some other good resources to find out more about medical school admissions and this rather peculiar anonymous post that contains blacked-out information...

14. jenniferk

jenniferk New Member

Pretty interesting post, although I'm suspicious about its authenticity with stuff blacked out.