Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students UBC homeless guy "ChairBo"

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by onthefly, Feb 2, 2011.

1. onthefly

onthefly Guest

The homeless guy that sits in a chair by the vending machines at the SUB, what's his story? He's always there reading the newspaper Over the years i'm sure someone has talked to him

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Dunno, but saw this on likealittle. Pretty hilarious.

3. Keith Shum

Keith Shum New Member

Hes been there for over a decade. I've talked to people who have graduated when I first started Uni and he was there when they entered school, now I'm graduating....hes still there.

4. milquetoast

EDIT: Nope, different guy! Disregard post.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Same guy?? The 53-year-old homeless man had been living in the Endowment Lands for about 10 years, supporting himself by collecting bottles and accepting the good graces of a few friends and clergymen. Police said Lang often told friends and acquaintances that his wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver in North Vancouver about 10 years ago.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=25df3b6f-fd19-4e3b-af1c-ddcbb10eef24

5. Timbo

Timbo Guest

Why don't you talk to him? Maybe he has a voice.

6. milquetoast

He looks pretty pissed off sometimes so I can see why people keep their distance. I always wonder what would happen if someone accidentally sat in his chair, do you think he would go apeshit?

7. he was there when my brother attended. and i'm about to graduate so overall its been 8 years at least that he's sat in that chair everyday till around 8-9pm and disappears. he never harasses anyone and he actually seems nice.

8. Nerdy Gal

Nerdy Gal Guest

haha i've seen this guy around too! He's usually drinking a coffee and reading old newspaper lol.

Wonder what neighbourhood (removed sneaky spam) will recommend him if he did the survey since they suggest areas that are based on ur lifestyle. Would be funny if the results came back as Yaletown haha.

if anyone sees him, ask him to do it!

9. ubc-memes

ubc-memes Guest

10. SUB SANTA

SUB SANTA Guest

My friends call him the SUB Santa, one of them went to talk to him and said he was actually very nice!

11. Spencer

Spencer Guest

RIP Chairbo

12. ripchairbo

ripchairbo Guest

"According to an AMS security employee, the man who always sat by the SUB entrance was found dead @ UBC Village Monday or Tuesday night. - Ubyssey."

13. Sad News

Sad News Guest

There was news today that this man was found dead at the Village. It's really sad news, he was always nice to everyone and I got used to seeing him every day.

14. milquetoast

:'( RIP Trevor Wimble.

[​IMG]

Ubyssey website is currently down, but here's the article: http://ubyssey.ca/news/man-found-dead-at-university-village662/

15. ET@UBC

ET@UBC Guest

16. RIP Chairbo

RIP Chairbo Guest

17. riptrevor

riptrevor Guest

rest in peace my friend, i'm sorry i never said hello

[​IMG]

18. milquetoast

Let's turn this into a photo memorial thread? Maybe those who talked to him can share some background information (unless you think he would prefer it to be a private).

A photo of Mr. Wimble from the Ubyssey files, taken March 24, 2006.
    [​IMG]

High resolution version - http://i.imgur.com/lbpQm.jpg

19. anony

anony Guest

He's been there 15 years :(... My friend had an idea that we should all raise funds for a statue to commemorate his sitting.
    [​IMG]

cheeseshredder likes this.
  20. milquetoast

Great idea, seconded! This pose would be great for a statute:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]