Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Translink Public Transit Stories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Jul 1, 2010.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

2. luluton

luluton Guest

I had a shitty experience on the 99 this summer with two pushy, healthy Chinese women in their mid-50s. They ran onto the bus through the back doors at Main and immediately walked to the elbow where me and a girl were sitting. One pointed at the seat and the girl immediately stood up and apologized. The woman then pointed to my seat, indicating to her friend that I was going to move.

I said, "You know, there are reserved seats in the front," because I hate it when people who can legitimately sit in the front take seats in the back and because I hate it when people take seats in the front who don't need them (like all the UBC brats).

I might as well have farted loudly, because people acted insulted by my statement. One young woman whined, "Can't you see she can hardly walk?!" The Chinese women scowled at me and insulted me in Chinese and, not wanted any grief, I got up and had to stand the whole way to Point Grey.

On the ride there, the poor woman who took my seat got up and walked around trying to open windows, having no problems standing or walking. And when we arrived at the end of the line at UBC bus loop, the most bizarre thing happened. Both of the women got up, left the bus, and RAN to the other 99 that was about to leave. They then tapped some students on the shoulders and demanded their seats, even though the bus was not even close to half-full.

So, there it is. I think these ladies just go around on the busses all day forcing people out of their seats because nobody is assertive enough to tell them no. Being a healthy man in my mid-30s, I'm of the demographic that apparently has no right to say, "Sorry, ladies, but my legs are tired."