Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Translink Public Transit Stories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Jul 1, 2010.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

What are some funny, strange, or flat out messed up things you've seen on the bus or skytrain?

Last year, my friend and I were either busing to UBC or busing home, I forget. There was this middle aged white dude at the back of the bus drinking beer while smoking a cigarette, which he threw out the window after he was done. When he finished the beer, he tossed that out of the window too. He then took out the rest of his beer (6 pack), opened another can to drink and then pulled out a needle syringe and injected himself in the belly. It was probably insulin, but the sequence of events was pretty wtf and hilarious.

2. 6u-huo.l.uV

6u-huo.l.uV Moderator Staff Member

heard about some dudes climbing up through the emergency escape on the 99 a day or two ago...

3. mon

mon New Member

Nothing funny but I remember sometimes last year, on my way to work, this dude who sat beside me had a very influential positive vibe. He was looking out the window smiling during the entire trip. Before he depart for his stop, he picked up all of the garbage at where we were sitting with a big smile on his face. It's strange to see someone as positive as him nowadays and he definitely made my day! :)

4. milquetoast

Just remembered this one. I was on the 41 heading east from UBC.

A girl was talking to this guy about how she liked the taste of durian but hated the smell. The guy gave passionate rant about how he loves the smell and that in general Vietnamese people tend to like the smell. He professed that he wished there was a durian scented cologne.

I for one, salute him.

5. Risiko

Risiko New Member

6. lwza

lwza Junior Member

There were 2 highschool girls who were talking about their relationships and drama on the 84. They were starting to share secrets. One girl said, "I'm going to tell you something that I've never told anybody in the world before. NOBODY knows this, and you can't tell anyone. I met a guy through WoW and fell in love with him." Don't know why she'd announce it to everyone on the bus if she doesn't want anybody to know about it. :confused:

7. thetruth

thetruth New Member

haha, good story

8. dfriel

dfriel New Member

hopefully we will enjoy them in sept

9. shortestfeather

shortestfeather New Member

Transit... Ugggggg... The smelly homeless guy next to you. Enough said.

cheeseshredder likes this.
  10. earlybird

earlybird New Member

I love reading your stories. I however have 100+ stories because i am a transit driver. If you get a bus driver who seems distant and non responsive please don't consider them to be rude towards you. It is just our way of blocking everything out so we can stay sane.

11. milquetoast

^ Would love to hear some stories! Better yet, you should start an "Ask a transit driver anything" topic.

12. edcxsw1

edcxsw1 New Member

hahah sounds awesome... keep em coming

13. johnyc

johnyc New Member

Love the skytrain. It's a great place to pickup chicks!

14. igregory

igregory New Member

Best stories were on the 98 Bline on Celebration of Lights nights. Drunk people singing are the best

15. milquetoast

From a friend:

Old lady trying to get off the bus while people are trying to board: "Would you let me get off the c**ksucking bus you motherf***ers".

16. mikebowal

mikebowal New Member

17. milquetoast

1. For the longest time, Translink had ARGONOMY RD instead of AGRONOMY RD on their stop indicator thing for some of the bus routes at UBC. They only fixed it sometime last year.

2. Not a pleasant story but along the 41 route heading east, there were these two really loud native guys at the back of the bus. Bus driver politely tells them to be quiet a few times to no avail. After a few more minutes, he stops the bus and tells them to get out. One guy gets off while the other stands there cussing the driver out.

His friend that's off the bus already repeats "brother..brother" and tries to get the other guy to shut up for a second. Once his friend stops yelling at the driver though, he gets back on the bus and starts punching the bus driver. Everyone was pretty shocked and some dudes at the front of the bus stood up in defense but the aggressors left before anything happened. The bus driver didn't seem too hurt. He started talking to Translink via some telephone thing and then continued on with his business. He thanked everyone and reminded us to be safe when we arrived at Joyce Station.

Had the same driver a few months later at a different route and he was still pretty friendly. I'm glad the assault didn't cause him to turn into one of those stonefaced agro drivers with no manners.

3. Some Asian dude on the 99 B-Line was talking on the phone very loudly about leading Air Cadets and how it's bullshit and biased against Asians. He was lecturing quite passionately about how the whole system is corrupt and racist. Thanks buddy, but I don't think the bus wants to know the organizational structure of Air Cadets and its inherent racism in rank promotions. I was sitting pretty far away but I gave him a few glances but he never caught on. Some people just have no idea how loud they are. I'm pretty sure the whole bus could hear him and were itching to shout SHUT UP.

18. ema

ema Full Member

I got hitted on by a black guy (not trying to be racist with the term "black") but it was not pleasant.
    He saw me holding my UBC lanyard and asked if I went to UBC and I said yes...
    asked for my name
    asked for where I lived
    asked if I had a bf
    asked if I wanted to be his gf
    told me he's seen me before
    thought I was a model
    -----
    Total BS and total creepo.

This guy came in and sat next to me and he was mumbling and twitching like he needed his dose of heroin.

I think if anything unpleasant happens again, I'm taking my car to school from then on -.-

cheeseshredder likes this.
  19. milquetoast

1. You know how people who haven't bathed in a long time tend to smell the same? I call it the homeless-hobo smell.

Well there was this dude sitting at the back of the bus who made the hobo smell seem like scented lavender candles. My sense of smell was too nube to detect it at first so I ended up sitting next to him, cornered in. It seriously smelled like the nastiest Asian mens washroom you can think of.

2. There was this dude with huge wart like growths on his hand that were all dried up. He was peeling them off and letting them fall all over the bus seats. Nasty.

20. milquetoast

What's with the trigger happy bus drivers lately? Before spamming the "PLEASE MOVE TO THE REAR OF THE BUS" button x1000, they should check if there's enough space for people to move. Half the time, people are already squished like canned sardines up to the back.