Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. ConventionalMan

ConventionalMan Full Member

More than likely I would guess. It appears the holding lists are empty as they are asking for more volunteers to switch depots fairly regularly.

Superchecker likes this.
  2. ConventionalMan

Yeah this happened to me a couple of times...and it's not really fun if you live a long ways away. One time at 1300 No Day roll call, I got work that started at 2000. It took me (at the time) almost an hour to get to work, then sat from 1330 to 1915 wait to head downtown for my piece to start then home. Long day indeed.

Superchecker likes this.
  3. ConventionalMan

I should clarify that the work that is available is also extra work not signed at signup time too - ie, illegal work - for example finish times within 8 hours of start times of next available work and so on. There is generally enough work to go around.

4. GuyinNorthVan

GuyinNorthVan Junior Member

Hi!

Tomorrow is my driving test. :eek: Today we had a pre-test evaluation and I passed both pre-trip and driving. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!

user and Superchecker like this.
  5. GuyinNorthVan

Yes! it was me!:D

Thanks.!

Superchecker likes this.
  6. GuyinNorthVan

It would be amazing if I end up working in North Van... :rofl:

Superchecker likes this.
  7. user

user Full Member

It's good to know that you still get paid! How long do you have to wait to start work once you get there at 1300?

How long was your shift when you started at 2000?

8. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

At 1300 each depot has a 13:00 No day roll call. Any remaining shifts for that date are assigned to No Day ops based on seniority and how much they still owe to make a day.

If no work at all: "Pass" and go home!

If there is a 2 hour piece, or any piece for that matter, finishing at 3am, you MIGHT get that based on seniority.

The depot coordinator is trying to cover as much work at straight time rates instead of paying overtime rates.

Note: Overtime Roll call is at 14:00.

user likes this.
  9. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Hello everyone! I went for my medical on the 14th and the next day, the 15, I got an email saying all was good there and that all was left was just a date to start training classes. It's been ten days now and I'm starting to worry. Has anyone heard anything about shuttle classes? Maybe they are just waiting to get enough people?

Superchecker likes this.
  10. Superchecker

Don't worry too much. Things don't usually happen overly fast at Transit. New budget year starts April 1. Active posting for more Conventional Op Trainees too...

When I went thru the process to become a driver, I was already an employee and it still took over 4 months.

Transit offices closed Good Friday AND Easter Monday. Monday is not a holiday for everyone, but for transit workers it is a contractual Stat holiday.

11. GuyinNorthVan

You should hear anytime soon. I think classes for shuttle start also every two weeks (not sure) and training is only 2 weeks

12. GuyinNorthVan

I passed my driving test!!!! OMG ...I got only 10 demerits...for driving at low speed.
    It's been a VERY hard first two weeks training...a very steep learning curve.

Now on Tuesday starts the Trolley adventure.

I'm exhausted today.:S

13. Superchecker

Congrats! Enjoy your long weekend!

GuyinNorthVan likes this.
  14. GuyinNorthVan

Thanks! You too!

15. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Congrats on passing the road test!

Don't be embarrassed to lose your poles during your drive.

I still lose my poles during my normal work!

There were a few instances where trolleys would be NB Homer making a left onto Hastings, loses their poles and the ropes catch onto the over head.

Happened twice in one week, and traffic was at a stand still =/

16. GuyinNorthVan

Thanks! I'm sure it will happen often! lol

17. ConventionalMan

Convenient, but short-lived... lol

18. ConventionalMan

How long you wait to start depends on what work you sign. In the case where I waited til 8pm, it was all i could sign. I have also signed a piece that started almost immediately so it can vary. That one shift finished around 0345-0400 if I recall...

user likes this.
  19. ConventionalMan

I can attest to that! While driving shuttle, I applied for conventional in July and finished my drivers test, medical etc by end of August. I finally got confirmation of my Conventional training date Jan 21 for a training start of Feb 2. So yes, it can take time. Don't worry Kr6505, they haven't forgotten you lol

20. ConventionalMan

Great job! Enjoy the long weekend! The learning curve will continue with trolleys - a whole new beast!