Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

I still haven't been able to find out anything official as to how many they are planning on hiring in 2013...
    I have heard that they are about 25 drivers short in Vancouver these days.... That just means that there is more overtime that needs covering....
    I've seen quite a few TRAINING BUSES out and about the past 2 or 3 weeks... They do Conventional Training out in south Vancouver, Richmond and South Delta...
    Richmond is still waiting for the official arrival of their 25 new 60 foot long Artics... West Vancouver is getting 17 new 40 footers too...
    I believe that Surrey will be launching their new B-Line route in either Sept, or maybe Dec... Guildford-Surrey Central-Newton Exchange...
    Read a news article that said that the new #555 bus route over the Port Mann bridge is running at approx 50% useage....

Opportunities come and go... many only get posted for 5 business days... Got to be ready to pounce when the opportunities knock!
    Haven't seen any FAREBOX or CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERK Opportunities for a while... They usually pop up 2 or 3 times a year... $20+ an hour to start, usually "casual" to start as well...

Good luck to everybody!

Stay tuned....

2. Otto

Otto Guest

Came across this. How true is it based on your experiences, Superchecker?

"I was a transit bus driver for CMBC for almost 5 years and I just quit in April because it really is a shit job despite the pay and I felt I was loosing years of my life from the job.

The people who make the schedules for the buses are fucked. They probably drive around in BMWs and have never actually rode on a fucking bus in their life. As a result, being a driver it was actually impossible to keep the bus running on time. We were encouraged to never take a break. Which meant I was often so hungry during my shift that my hands would be shaking and/or I had to pee so badly I ended up getting repeated urinary tract infections. If I was late, passengers would inevitably be angry, complain or generally treat me like I was the scum of the Earth even though I regularly gave up my allotted 60 seconds of "break" time to eat and pee just to try and keep the bus on time. There was absolutely no extra time scheduled incase of a car accident blocking the road, a protest, emergency crews blocking the road, heavy traffic, construction crews blocking the road etc. which was something that happened ever single fucking day.

It seems extremely counterproductive of Translink to save money at the expense of bus drivers and passengers. IE: bus drivers driving with low blood sugar in extremely stressful situations without having even 10 mins during their shifts to eat/pee/poop/decompress/compose themselves etc. This is only going to cause shit like this to happen (drivers rushing to beat red lights so they might possibly get 3 mins at the end of the line).

The reason why buses drive over the line and straddle lanes on Broadway and 4th ave is that we were actually told in training to do this. It's Translink policy. If we drove in our own lane and an idiot opened their car door without checking the side mirror causing a driver to rip the door off of said idiot's car, we would be repremanded and it was considered an at-fault accident on us even if we were being safe and driving the speed limit. Ironically, if this happens to you in your own car, the idiot who opens their door into traffic is considered at-fault by ICBC (suspiciously also owned by Translink I think).

Most of the stupid shit you see bus drivers doing is either Translink policy or things done to try and get a break (such as speeding and running reds). Also, every bus has everything recorded on it all day long, from how fast it is going at every single minute of the day, to how many times the doors open and close. If drivers are speeding, Translink definately knows about it!

Sorry for my rant! Honestly quitting that job was the best thing that I ever did. I got sucked in by the high pay and the benefits but it really is a thankless, terrible job. I would try my best every day, I always thanked every passenger when they got on, and in the end all I got was the feeling that this whole city hated my guts and back and neck problems from sitting so long. Since quitting I have taken up meditation ;)"

3. Superchecker

All I can say to that is that no one job is for everybody... Some can't be doctors, some can't flip burgers for a living, and some can't be bus drivers...
    There are many other opportunities at Transit, and I would never suggest to anyone to just up and quit... maybe something else in the company??? Empty fareboxes, be a depot clerk, sweep buses, take courses and get into management... Heck, the best paying job in the company is the guys/gals that take care of the bus stops; The ID poles... I've worked in at least 3 other departments in my career here...
    Coast Mountain Bus Company has won numerous Employer of the year awards... There are over 3,500 drivers, many LOVE their job... We do pick our shifts, in seniority order, 4 times a year... As your seniority improves, so should the work/shifts/choices... Over 5,000 employees... Usually hundreds, if not thousands, applying for new positions...
    Each employee does belong to a union, and can deal with running time/schedule issues thru their union. It is a slow, sometimes very slow, process...
    The job is what you make it!! If you let it get you down, and it can get you down, then maybe you need to find ways to deal with it...
    I've known a few that have quit, and then a few years later, there they are re-appling...

4. Superchecker

Part of the hiring process: It is strongly suggested that applicants go out and RIDE busy rush hour, and evening trolley routes, such as the #3 Main, #8 Fraser & #20 Victoria...

Go out, see whats it's like... Maybe talk to the Operators, if they are willing/wanting to talk...

If "Big Bus" isn't your cup of tea, try Community Shuttle...
    If driving isn't your thing, look for non driving opportunities...

5. ca_FTW

ca_FTW Junior Member

Everyone is different, some people just like to complain (or are more sensitive) then others.
    My aunt and Uncle both worked for translink for many many years, and retired 2 years ago, they both loved it, they were both bus drivers. and thats what they loved.

Im still waiting to hear back about my panel interview but i cant wait..

Superchecker likes this.
  6. Superchecker

Heck, both Canada Line & SkyTrain have, on occasion, hired SkyTrain Attendants that get paid the same as bus drivers... I would have seriously considered appling for that instead of just quitting after gaining 5 years seniority as a driver...

7. Vee

Vee Guest

i hv a almost six year class 1 driving and almost 8 month bus driving experience with clean driving history.(no accident..no ticket..). I gave video test for transit couple of time. last time i was confident but always next day receievd a email... sorry u r not successfull in video test. They never tell u about ur score. may be bad luck.............may be translink not for me ,even i do not need any training for air brake and for drive 40-80 ft bus..

8. Superchecker

Good luck to you, where ever you end up!

Victoria/BC Transit is accepting driving applications as well...

West Vancouver (Blue Buses) and Horizon Coach Lines are both accepting applications for "SUMMER DRIVERS"...

HandyDart is in need of CASUAL DRIVERS- Vancouver service area...

You can always try again after 6/12 months, I believe...

Driving is NOT the only opportunity...

9. Superchecker

CMBC has just added an opportunity/posting for a CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT...

10. Superchecker

11. theb

theb Guest

How do I apply for that position as I have never seen that one on Translink's page? And what are the requirements?
    Thanks

12. Superchecker

Canada Line hires seperately over at www.protransbc.com/career-centre/job-opportunities/ They did have a posting up recently for CANADA LINE ATTENDANTS... You have to check their website regularly as many opportunities only get posted for 5 business days...

For SkyTrain (Expo & Millenium Line) Opportunities, you have to click onto the SkyTrain opportunities icon over on the Careers Page at www.translink.ca

13. Superchecker

BREAKING NEWS: Coast Mountain Bus Company is once again accepting applications for COMMUNITY SHUTTLE OPERATOR TRAINEES- Mini buses, Part Time to start, $18-19 an hour... Buses currently housed/based out of Oakridge, Surrey & Port Coquitlam depots....

14. lumix

lumix Full Member

Pay is decent for a trainee operator.

Superchecker likes this.
  15. vee

vee Guest

whats the pay rate for a CMBC pre apprentice postion....?

16. Superchecker

As of April 2010: $26.22 an hour... Then raises every 6 months until completion of your apprenticeship....

Note: 2% Raise April 1, 2013, and again April 1, 2014...

17. Victor

Victor Guest

Hi Supercheck,

Just a quick question. Any idea what they mean when they say "part-time" on the Community Shuttle posting? 25 hrs per week, 30 or more, what exactly??

Another question. Do you think CMBC is soon in hiring mode again soon? What's the talk around the depot?

18. Superchecker

I don't think that there will be "Mass Hirings" anytime soon... The budget is frozen at 2011 levels for the next year or two... I've heard that they might hire in the neighbourhood of 100 new Operators in 2013... They have already taken about 30 Shuttle drivers and trained them to be Conventional Bus drivers... Now they have a posting up to help replace those 30 Shuttle drivers...

A friend of a friend is currently a part time shuttle driver, and he's getting approx 30 hours per week... I think that they try to give you 2 or 3 scheduled shifts per week, and then you are also on call for 1 or 2 more days as needed... GREAT way to get your foot in the door, and then have access to INTERNAL POSTINGS! Conventional can be a little overwhelming at first. Those getting their feet wet in Shuttle most often make a smoother transition ot Conventional...

Feel free to go out and actually ride a Shuttle bus, and maybe get chatting with the Operator.... Note that the shuttle buses in New Westminster, Langley and the Tsawwassen First Nations route are NOT Coast Mountain Bus Company employees... Private contractors...

19. Superchecker

Just added a new posting for CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERKS- Part time to start, $21 an hour to start... SHIFT WORK... Call centre is open 6:30am til 11:30pm every day of the year... Currently based near Gateway Station, and set to move sometime this summer to the Sapperton area...

20. M20130321

M20130321 Guest

I submitted my application for conventional transit operator position online on Jan 21, 2013. so far, I didn't get any respond from CMBC. I made a phone call, left a message, i did'nt have a chance to speak to anybody, and then later, i sent an email, still, no any feedback, any body else applied on Jan 2013, any news? by the way, I got my class 2 licence yeasterday.

Superchecker likes this.