Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Mike

Mike Junior Member

Are you talking about they called you in for the panel interview after this recent jan 14 posting of an ad for drivers? Or are you talking about last year?

2. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Mike, the posting is up until at least Monday... It can take days/weeks before you'll hear anything...

3. Superchecker

Hi Mike (and any other new applicants), if you didn't already know, the original plan, exactly one year ago, was: to hire 300 more operators in 2012... Then came the "funding crisis" in late April, causing them to halt all hiring, and even for them to try and lay off the ones in the 2 training classes at that time (May 2012)...
    There would have been more applicants already in the system at that time, that were just waiting for training dates...
    Those applicants that were caught up in the Spring 2012 hiring freeze limbo have (should have) been contacted by now to see if they are still interested...
    I don't know how many CMBC is looking to hire at this time... I was a little surprised to see the postings pop up last Monday...
    I have heard that there has been "a few" classes of existing Shuttle drivers upgrading to Conventional over the past couple of months, so I can understand their need to replenish the number of casual Shuttle drivers...
    All new applicants will have to go thru the regular process: (Not exactly sure of the specific order) Video test, Trainability, medical exam, panel interview...
    Occasionally, things can progress rather quickly at CMBC, but not usually... It normally can take weeks, if not months, to go thru the full hiring process....
    For me, at the time, I was already an employee and it took over 4 months from the video test until a training class start date....

Training takes place at the Vancouver Transit Centre, on Hudson Street south of Marine Drive, under the Arther Laing bridge...
    If you are hired on for Community Shuttle, they usually train out of other depots such as Oakridge, Surrey, or Port Coquitlam, as that is where the mini buses are housed...

My understanding is that the overall budget for CMBC is bacially frozen at 2011 levels, so there isn't any more money to expand the system at this time... Any hiring would be just to keep up with their need to maintain service at current levels... There was quite abit of hiring done in the 70's and 80's and a good portion of those drivers are getting close to retirement... Some are choosing to stay on after age 65, as the legislation was changed a few years ago to allow that....

There are ongoing plans to "tweek" the existing routes and service levels so as to take some of the least used service hours and to re-deploy them where they might be better utilized...
    The company can "tweek" service up to 4 times a year, usually: Labour day-Back to school; Mid Dec; Mid April & end of June...

Conventional Training classes usually consist of approx a dozen new drivers... Sometimes more, sometimes less.... Conventional training takes approx 6 weeks... Lots to absorb... Lots of homework and tests- quizzes... Learning the air brake system.. The pre trip inspection... fares... Zones... Company policies... National Safety Code... the spareboard... signing up... seniority... the various routes and depots... Trolley overhead... the farebox... the radio-Tmac system... Union stuff... Pay periods & pay days... Vacation... Banked stat holidays... Banked overtime.... Family days... almost an endless list....
    Shift Work! We are a nearly 24 hour a day operation, so your shifts can fall anywhere in the 24 hour day!

4. Mike

Mike Junior Member

Ok. Thanks.
    I've been hearing different stories about things and I guess no one will really know. But I am a 28 year old tour bus driver. Two + years of experience working in all situations from taking tours to dealing with unruly passengers. Wonder if any of that experience will stand out to them and render a video test invitation. Have heard they don't want experienced. They want to hire people right from the start. I have a class 2 with air brakes. Nothing on my driving record. It'll be interesting I guess.

5. ca_FTW

ca_FTW Junior Member

To Clear up what i said Before..

Early April 2012 - I did the Video Test and Past
    Mid April 2012 - I was scheduled for the Panel interview (Its the next step after the Video Test)
    Late April 2012 - Panel Interview was Cancelled

This was the E-Mail i got:
    Unfortunately, your panel interview that was scheduled is cancelled.
    We will not be proceeding to the interview stage at this time because we have currently filled both our Conventional Operator and our Community Shuttle Operator classes. Thank you for taking the time to test for the position of Transit Operator with CMBC.
    Should there be a need for future classes, we will contact you to schedule an interview. Please note your test results will only be kept on file for 6 months.
    Thank you,

So i went on with my life..

Then to my Surprise i get contacted by Email:
    January 14 - Email from HR

This was the Email:
    Thank-you for your interest in the position of CMBC Conventional Transit Operator Trainee.
    Shortly after you submitted your application in 2012, the hiring of Transit Operators was put on hold. We are currently in the process of determining our future staffing requirements and have posted the Transit Operator Trainee position today, Monday January 14, 2013.
    Please note that you do not need to submit a new application. We have kept your application on file, and anticipate that we will be able to schedule you for your panel interview in a few months time. Once a schedule has been set up, we will contact you to determine if you are still interested in moving forward with your application.
    Due to a large volume of inquiries, please refrain from contacting our office at this time. Please only reply to this email if you wish to withdraw your application from consideration.

From the E-Mail i got in April i assumed i would have to redo the Video test if they were hiring again after 6 months.. However it would apear not..

Now im just waiting to see when my interview is scheduled.

Superchecker likes this.
  6. Superchecker

Good luck! I did see more than a few TRAINING BUSES out and about today...
    Still not sure just how many they want to hire...
    The posting ends today, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's reposted/redated tomorrow...

7. Superchecker

Good Morning! As of early Tuesday Jan 22, the 2 postings for Transit Operator Trainees have now ended, and even been removed from the CMBC website...

I don't know how many they were looking to hire this year...
    I don't know when they will be accepting more applications...

As soon as I see or hear anything, I'll be updating right here...

Feel free to post anything that you think would be helpful to new applicants....

Any "Official" questions should be directed to the Human Resources department at 604-953-3000... Or to the Careers Page over at www.translink.ca

NOTE: WEST VANCOUVER still has their posting up looking for seasonal/Summer Conventional Transit Operators, who already have a class #2 licence... AND BC TRANSIT- Victoria continues to accept applications for new drivers as well...

metrovancouver.org has their annual postings up now for seasonal/summer PARKS staff- $25 an hour...

BC Ferries will be posting their annual seasonal/summer postings in the near future as well....

8. Superchecker

INFO ONLY: There is currently an INTERNAL (Open to existing employees only) Job Posting for CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERKS-PART TIME. $20.91 an hour...
    If these postions are NOT filled internally, than we should expect an external (Open to the general public) job posting to show up on the website either Feb 1 or maybe Feb 4...

So, keep an eye on the COAST MOUNTAIN BUS COMPANY section of the TransLink CAREER PAGE over at www.translink.ca if interested...
    Most opportunities only get posted for 5 business days...

The call centre is located in North Surrey- King Goerge & 108 Av area, and is open every single day of the year from 6:30am til 11:30pm...

"Regular" staff earn benefits too, where as "Temporary" staff earn 20% MORE $$$ in lieu of benefits...

9. Superchecker

An opportunity for an ACCOUNTING CLERK has been posted over on the CMBC website... Act quickly if interested....

10. Superchecker

A new opportunity for a MARINE ATTENDANT TRAINEE has just popped up on the website...

You have until Feb 13 to apply for this North Vancouver based opportunity....

11. Dave 03

Dave 03 Guest

Hi Superchecker
    I am hearing from certain people that Coast Mountain would rather you have a class 5 with clean record than a class 2.....I'm thinking it's so that THEY can train you, would you agree with that.

cheers

12. Superchecker

On one hand, yes...

BUT, they do hire those who already have a class #2/#1, and those new hires still go thru the full training process...

When I went thru training, I was the only one in my training class that only had a class #5 at the time...

13. J R

J R Guest

Hi Guys. I got an email from Coast mountain last week. I am schduled for a video test this week.(Fingers Crossed) I did get my class 1 licence in jan this year. So I am guessing that it does help in getting the job if you have a Class 1 licence already becuase CM wont have to pay for it. I will let you know how my video test went Tomm. Wish me luck :D

14. Superchecker

Good Luck!!!

You will end up going thru the full 6 weeks+ training, as if you didn't already have a class #2/#1...

15. ca_FTW

ca_FTW Junior Member

Best of luck.. im still waiting to hear about getting scheduled for the Panel interview..

The Email said a couple months, almost one month has gone by now..

16. J R

J R Guest

So I went for my interview on tuesday. During the interview felt pretty confident that I was going to pass but i got the email today saying i didnt make it. Oh well better luck next time i guess.

17. Dave 03

Dave 03 Guest

JR
    Good Luck next time. Accordingy to your last message, I thought you had a video test?

18. ca_FTW

ca_FTW Junior Member

Do you mean you failed the Video Test.. because you posted on Monday that you were doing the Video Test this week..
    Doing the Video test and then interview back to back seems pretty fast..

I will assume that you failed the Video test because i dont see how you could have done both of those since Monday.

Sorry to hear you failed..

19. J R

J R Guest

Yes I meant to say the video Test Sorry for the confusion guys.

20. Superchecker

If you only have a class #5 licence: BC Transit-Victoria continues to accept new applications....

If you already have a class #4: HandyDart is hiring!

If you already have a class #2: West Vancouver as well as Horizon Coach Lines are in need of Summer/Seasonal drivers...

Other great paying "seasonal" opportunities: BC Ferries, www.civicinfo.bc.ca/16.asp as well as www.metrovancouver.org