Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Transit is laying off everyone under the Sun except for Bus Drivers. Mechanics, Servicemen, Apprentices, Bodymen, On-Road Supervisors.... It's over and done with. Without a doubt, expect a drop in service.

2. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Coast Mountain Bus Company was ordered by TransLink to find $30,000,000.00 in cost savings in 2012. They have shut down the companies 2 cafeterias and laid off those long serving staff. They offered up incentives to all non driving staff to take early retirement. They've eliminated 60 positions in the maintenance/mechanics and apprenticeship/trades areas. They have reduced the number of supervisors.
    The next budget year starts April 1/2013.
    Hopefully they will find more $$$ to at least maintain the existing service levels, and maybe continue to tweek the system to reduce the number of lowest used routes/service hours, and re-deploy those resources to the busiest/most used routes/service hours...
    Richmond depot is set to receive 25 new articulated buses this winter, and then that free's up existing resources to be re-depolyed out to Surrey depot to start their new B-line route linking Guildford with Surrey Central and down the King George Blvd to Newton Exchange sometime in 2013....
    Still moving ahead with plans for a new Transit Centre/depot at Boundary & Westminster Hwy to open in 2014, in the Hamilton neighbourhood of east Richmond, to replace the aging North Vancouver & Oakridge facilities...
    Currently training "a few" existing Shuttle drivers to become Conventional Transit Operators, to keep up with attrition, so they might need more shuttle driver applicants early in the new year?

Canada Line had posted their need for 4 more CANADA LINE ATTENDANTS, $25 an hour to start... www.protransbc.com

BC TRANSIT- VICTORIA continues to accept driving applications... www.bctransit.com

Transit Police continue to accept applications for new recruits....

3. Superchecker

West Vancouver has their annual posting up NOW for TRANSIT OPERATORS, CONVENTIONAL, TEMPORARY, SUMMER...

they earn $16.42 an hour while in training, and then jump to $20.53 an hour... 40 hour work week...

Click onto CAREERS at the bottom of the www.westvancouver.ca website, otr I also found a link over at www.civicinfo.bc.ca/16.asp

4. Mike

Mike Junior Member

Awesome. Might be what I need to get my foot in the door! Just wondering if you know whether they'll start interviewing now too or just receiving applications?
    Oh and do they always lay off after summer? If so, when would a transit summer finish?
    Thanks for the post

-michael

5. Superchecker

I don't know Mike...
    You might want to call West Vancouver, or maybe go and ride a West Van Blue Bus and ask the driver?
    It sounds like the posting is up thru til the end of April? I don't know if they wait until May to hire?
    I don't know if they keep any after September?
    They have posted the same posting for the past few years...

They operate the following routes: 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, as well as a community shuttle route C12....

6. Mike

Mike Junior Member

Thanks a bunch!

7. Dave 03

Dave 03 Guest

Hi Superchecker
    What can you tell me about the video testing? How can one prepare for that? Do you know of any scenarios?
    Thanks in advance

8. Superchecker

Hi Dave 03!
    It's been decades since I did the video test, but basically it's common sence... Avoid confrontations... Keep that bus moving, as safely as possible...
    You might touch base with some more recent applicants, such as maybe over on the "Coast Mountain Bus" thread, in the Employment Sub Forum over at www.memebee.com/vancouver/viewforum.php?f=46

9. Dave 03

Dave 03 Guest

Will have to see how common my senses are, lol. Sometimes when you start over thinking scenarios, it starts getting more complex. Thanks for the link !

10. Superchecker

Info only: The WEST Vancouver transit depot/centre is actually located in North Vancouver.... Lloyd Av I believe... and their employees work for the municipality of West Vancouver, and are unionized...[/quote]

11. Ben L

Ben L Guest

Translink is looking for Drivers again..

I passed the Video Test in April.

however was then told that they were no longer hiring..

This AM i got an email saying that they were hiring again soon i would be scheduled for a Panel interview in the next month.

Im excited/nervous what should i expect at the Panel interview.

12. Superchecker

***BREAKING NEWS*** Just popped into the TransLink CAREERS PAGE, and clicked onto Coast Mountain Bus Company: AND THEY ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS NOW for both CONVENTIONAL & COMMUNITY SHUTTLE OPERATOR TRAINEES!!!

GOOD LUCK! www.translink.ca and then their CAREERS PAGE, and then COAST MOUNTAIN BUS COMPANY!

13. Mike

Mike Junior Member

Holy crap! Didnt expect that coming.

14. Superchecker

As I read the latest postings, they do appear to be dated as starting today Jan 14, and ENDING Jan 21??? You might only have one week to apply???

15. Superchecker

Even if they get a bunch of applicants, it can take weeks if not months to go thru the hiring process... They usually like to have new classes every 2 weeks with roughly a dozen new hires in each class...

16. Dave 03

Dave 03 Guest

Hi Ben L
    I was also scheduled to go for the video test and then was contacted a few days later informing me they are no longer hiring. Do you have any info on the video test, don't know what to expect and getting a little nervous! Thanks so much in advance.

17. harold

harold New Member

Hi Superchecker.
    i have type 2 diabeties..will affect my application for bus driver job

18. Superchecker

There is a medical exam... I don't know where Diabeties falls into the equation...
    You might ask your own doctor?
    I'd say as long as you can hold the appropriate class of drivers licence, you should be fine?
    If you really want to pursue it, call CMBC's HR department and ask, 604-953-3000 and ask someone in HR...

19. ca_FTW

ca_FTW Junior Member

Dave 03

In early 2012 I applied for a Conventional Transit Operator.
    I was excited that i heard back and was scheduled for a Video Test.
    May i went in for the Video test..
    Your in a room with Terrible chairs, and Crappy Pencils.

The lights go out and you watch a Video that has situation that were filmed in the late 80's (Apparent from the Jean jackets and Hairdos.)
    After a situation gets played out you have to Fill out the Answer you think it is A/B/C/D the paper you have in front of you covers these things.

All the questions are very straight forward and comment sense/a bit of driving knowledge should cover all of it.

There there is the Memory part of the test.. where you have to read paragraphs of info and then answer questions about that..

after i aced that info, i was set up for the Panel interview however i got a email saying that they were no longer hiring..

I had all but moved on, when the other day i got an email saying they were starting to hire again and i would put back in the Queue for the Panel Interview..

Anyone that has insite about that Inverview feel free to let me know.. im always very nervous in interviews..

Superchecker likes this.
  20. Mike

Mike Junior Member

Are you guys saying they've stopped hiring just after their recent ad? I put in my application in on the 15th, a day after they posted it. Has anyone heard back or have been called in for the video test?