Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Thoughts On Suicide?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, May 26, 2014.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... ever been so lonely or despondent that the BIG thought has crossed your mind: "i wish i was dead"?

... i'm not talking about end-of-life suicide due to age or illness. i'm talking about thinking of suicide amid feelings of depression and sadness even while in the prime of your life; situations where you say to yourself this is unbearable and i just can't go on feeling the way i do ...

... any thoughts on this?

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I did once when I was not doing very well in school. I don't think I would have followed through. I made it through those times.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... thanks for your reply, Stuntman ...

... i've felt the same way a few times, usually in bed at three o'clock in the morning. there's something about the dark, wee hours of the night that amplifies the pain of mental (and physical) anguish. however, in reality i don't think i'd have the guts to follow through with suicide, thus i must admit i hold a degree of admiration, along with my sorrow, for those who do ...

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I did have a classmate from university who did follow through. I wasn't that close to him. He was closer to another friend of mine who told me a few things that led to him taking his own life. He moved to another city to work and didn't really know anyone there. He also didn't have a very good work environment. He eventually quit and moved back here. He was rather depressed. I think met him once after he moved back here before he eventually took his own life.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... yes, i've known of a few acquaintances who've ended their lives, although nobody i've been that close to ...

... thanks for posting, Stuntman!

6. Dan

Dan Junior Member

I worked with a guy that suffered from depression. He had his moments, he actually had a dry sense of humor, but most of the time he was quite morose.
    One day he came to work and he seemed genuinely happy, like he had just won the lottery (he didn’t). He had just gotten a second job and mentioned a few other things but no denying how upbeat and positive he was.

Two weeks later he committed suicide. I was perplexed. If this had happened at any other time before the pronounced change in demeanor, I wouldn’t have been as surprised.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. the mechanic

... thanks for posting, Dan. sad story about your colleague ...

... sounds like he may have had bipolar disorder/manic depression. those who suffer from it have drastic mood swings, from manic euphoria to despondent despair ...

... thanks again for your comment ...

8. Dan

Dan Junior Member

It's quite possible. Apparently some people are so overwhelmed with depression that the decision and acceptance to commit suicide is almost like an epiphany that brings a euphoria knowing there’s an end to their despair. It’s difficult for a healthy person to comprehend the sheer magnitude of depression that would compel a person to feel this way.

the mechanic likes this.
  9. ForeignButNot

ForeignButNot Junior Member

The moment someone thinks this type of thought, he or she needs professional help. I've gone through some awful times in my life, and I thought "it would be so much easier if I died tomorrow." However, actually debating if I would commit suicide was never a thought. Suicidal thoughts are nothing to put off to the side, they must be dealt with by a professional.

the mechanic likes this.
  10. the mechanic

... good advice. thank you for your reply!

... and thank you for your reply above too, Dan!