Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Fashion & Beauty The competitive edge of Indian Cotton!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnyDeVirg, Mar 23, 2014.

1. JohnyDeVirg

JohnyDeVirg New Member

India has long been known for its cotton history since the 18th century. Being the 2nd largest producer of natural cotton in the world, there is no wonder why cotton fabic manufacturers in India have gained strong hold in the international business scenario, especially with the government policies to support the domestic industry.

There is a common notion that Indian cotton fabrics are used only during summer. As the body perspires in summer, the cotton fabric absorbs the sweat and releases it on the surface of the fabric, thus allowing itself to evaporate. It may be a surprising fact to many that the same cotton can very well be used during winter also. During winter, the fabric remains dry, thus allowing the fibers to hold the body heat. However, what made cotton fabric manufacturers in India grow is their ability to produce low cost cotton products. India, with its enormous population, has always offered low cost labor. This negligible labor cost combined free the freely available natural cotton makes it easy for manufacturers to produce and sell cotton fabrics as well as garments at highly competitive prices.

However, it is not just the cost factor that helped the cotton fabric industry in India. Designing and Dyeing is an equally developed industry in India. Highly skilled designers are available throughout the country. While some of them continue they hereditary business of designing and weaving, some others are specifically trained by educational institutions. Thus, India is able to sell attractive designs to the world as per the changing trends. And what more do you want when you have splendid designs on cotton at a low price!

2. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

India produces an avalanche of cloth just as Sasketchwan and the US Midwest produce an avalanche of wheat. Some of my family elders used to bore me to death constantly telling me about how they used to spin homemade cloth in Gandhi's day to rebel against British rule. Same b.s. as some old Archie Bunker types constantly telling their grandchildren about Pearl Harbor and how they fought the Japanese.

Leave both Gandhi and Pearl Harbor ------ with respect, mind you ----- in the grave. The sun is shining. Young people want to run out to play, not listen to worn-out stories.

3. Bine

Bine Full Member

Vivek is well known for his humour.

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth! I would never begrudge an older person telling me about history, face to face. it is an honor and a privileged to learn about history this way, as opposed to the dry facts you get from text books. We in the west have so benefited from Indian cotton bought at slave wages for decades so the least we can do is hear about how Indians slaved away making it.

Im ok with cotton from India but only so long as it is not the genetically modified stuff that produces the BT pesticide. That stuff makes me itch.

5. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

In generations to come, Flutterby, much cloth or spidersilk might come from the milk of genetically engineered goats. Already, GM goats give milk from which they extract pharmaceuticals. Genetic modification is not ipso facto a bad thing. It all depends on how it is carried out. Indeed, a day may come when a tiger gene or a wolf gene is inserted into humans, giving future generations the ability to see in the dark. This will create an uproar. "Oh, you are tampering with God's creation!" Yet no matter how much uproar, genetics will gradually remake the world ------ and people.