Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Switzerland to vote on $2,800 monthly ‘basic income’ for adults

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Full Member

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/side...sic-income’-minimum-for-adults-181937885.html

More than 100,000 residents in Switzerland have signed a petition demanding that the government ensure a minimum monthly income of nearly $2,800 (2,500 Swiss francs) for all adults in the country.

The 120,000 signatures are enough to formally call a vote in the government over whether or not to approve the “CHF 2,500 monthly for everyone" (Grundeinkommen)” funding proposal.

For comparison, the average U.S. worker earned $3,769 in pre-tax, monthly salary in 2011. Food service industry workers earned $1,785 in pre-tax income during the same period.

2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... sounds great to me! i'm in favor of it. canada should adopt a similar policy ...

3. Boyvan

Boyvan Junior Member

What does this mean exactly? Everyone will get that on top of what you make?

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

... good question. as well, how will this be funded? switzerland must be a very wealthy country indeed!

5. Boyvan

Boyvan Junior Member

Yes, wealthy now....but if they decide to do this then they won't be wealthy in another 20-30 years. If a worker is making $1,000 and Gov't decides to give him another $1,800 to top it up to $2,800 then where is this extra $1,800 coming from? Gov't will raise taxes or other fees to fund this plan. This will be a burden for everyone. Sooner or later people making $3,000 (for example) will realize why the heck are they working 40-50 hours a week when their neighbour who doesn't work is getting $2,800. So he quits his job and starts to collect the same amount. He is happy that now he is not working yet getting almost the same amount. Individually people are smart and honest; in groups they become well lets just be polite - not-smart :)

the mechanic likes this.
  6. salmon

salmon Junior Member

Nice.. $2,800/month is more than the minimum wage.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. the mechanic

... actually there is a way to undertake a monthly guaranteed income program without raising taxes. all the government would have to do is literally print any extra money that was needed to fund the program ...

8. Boyvan

Boyvan Junior Member

I wish it was that simple....print more money :D Google why Govts don't / can't print money as they please.

the mechanic likes this.
  9. the mechanic

... thanks for your reply, but what's google got to do with it?

... governments already do print as much money as they need, our government included. why wouldn't they? why do you think there's so much money in circulation? there's nothing stopping governments from printing surplus cash and they do it all the time. and i'm totally in favor of it. there shouldn't be restrictions on printing money considering the good it does for people ...

10. Boyvan

Boyvan Junior Member

Perhaps I was not clear. Google has nothing to do with it.

What I meant to say was do a search on why Govts don't print money as they please. I was too lazy to explain...lol.

But long story short....as they say....too much of anything is not good....same applies to money. In this case too much printing is not good for the economy (inflation), etc.

the mechanic likes this.
  11. the mechanic

... by your own admission you're just repeating information released by the government, information which is false ...

... there already is an enormous amounted of printed money in circulation in canada and more is added all the time, yet inflation isn't an issue for anyone. on the contrary, the distribution of more money would actual help the economy because it gives people money to spend. it's just basic street economics. don't believe the lies the government tells you ...

... distributing cash money to the people is a good thing, Boyvan, not a bad thing ... :rolleyes:

12. Boyvan

Boyvan Junior Member

I agree cash money is always good. Definitely not complaining about that. Who wouldn't like cash. I am not sure about street Economics but I was referring to book Economics (not a propaganda by the Govt or anyone else). One of the few things I remember in Economics 101....lol.

Anyhow....we digress - we will see in 20-30 years how successful this plan in in Switzerland :D

the mechanic likes this.