Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Spanish judge seeks Tibet genocide charges for former Chinese leaders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vancouverfun, Feb 20, 2014.

1. vancouverfun

vancouverfun Full Member

Judge cites universal jurisdiction to issue orders for detention of former president Jiang Zemin and ex-premier Li Peng

[​IMG]

A Spanish judge is seeking the arrest of China's former president and premier over eight-year-old accusations of genocide in Tibet.

High court judge Ismael Moreno asked Interpol to issue orders for the detention of former Chinese president Jiang Zemin, ex-premier Li Peng and three other officials for questioning on charges brought by Tibetan rights groups in Spain.

However, the case may not progress as Spain's ruling People's party is pushing rules to limit judges' ability to pursue cases under universal jurisdiction – the principle that crimes against humanity can be prosecuted across borders.

This is the same concept used by former judge Baltasar Garzón to bring about the arrest of Chile's ex-dictator Augusto Pinochet in London in 1998. Pinochet was eventually allowed to return to Chile for health reasons.

"Jiang exercised supervisory authority over the people who directly committed abuses, which makes him responsible for acts of torture and other major abuses of human rights perpetrated by his subordinates against the people of Tibet," Moreno wrote in the order, citing lawyers for the Tibetan plaintiffs.

Moreno asked Interpol to issue the arrest order seeking Jiang's detention for genocide, torture and crimes against humanity. He issued similar orders for Li and other Chinese officials in the 1980s and 1990s.

Interpol, the international police organisation, issues "red notices" for wanted persons, based on judicial orders from courts in its 190 member countries. Police in member countries can detain wanted persons on their soil based on the alerts.

China's foreign ministry called on Spain to prevent further lawsuits that seek to investigate alleged rights abuses in Tibet.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/10/spanish-judge-tibet-genocide-china-jiang-zemin-li-peng

the mechanic likes this.
  2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... hopefully those spaniard prosecutors will go after some of the corrupt snakes operating in our government too!

3. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I also hate corrupt politicians, but neither the United States nor Canada has committed genocide in living memory. With the possible exception of carpet bombing and reckless use of Agent Orange in Viet Nam.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

... i didn't say anything about genocide in my post. thanks for commenting ...

5. Vivek Golikeri

I know you didn't mean that. I was just pointing out that Beijing's crimes are far worse than those of the West in living memory.

the mechanic likes this.
  6. the mechanic

... it's a matter of what you consider to be war crimes, Vivek. for instance, the bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki with nuclear weapons could be seen as immoral misconduct considerably worse than anything any nation has ever done before. thanks for your reply ...

7. Vivek Golikeri

I totally agree that it's a matter of what you consider war crimes. I believe Hiroshima was justified. Japan attacked us first and committed horrible atrocities in Asia and the Pacific. Hitler was working on his own nuclear project. Can you imagine what would have happened if the Nazis or the Japanese fascists has made the n-bomb first? We used it to end a war we did not start. The atomic genie was going to be out of the bottle anyway, sooner or later.

the mechanic likes this.