Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Sick, Contagious Homeless In Vancouver...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Apr 4, 2017.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

so this is an issue that retail needs to face. I was in a large retail outlet store last weekend in downtown Vancouver, when a clearly homeless guy kept passing behind me up and down the aisle. He finally stopped right beside me. He was breathing heavily and he looked so sick! His face was red, swollen. He was sweating and his tongue was puffy and sticking out of his mouth. His hair was wet with sweat and stuck to his forehead.

Now me and my friend are both sick. Swollen glands, fever etc.

It is way past time that retail stores and public places deny sick people entry. He would never get into a restaurant like that so why a retail store? I have the utmost compassion for the homeless, mentally ill, drug addicted in our city. But this guy could easily have TB, that's Tuberculosis a devastating viral illness that can kill you and even with the right antibiotics takes a year and a half to get rid of. Treatment itself, for this infection is very hard on the body.

Are homeless people even screened for infectious disease and if not, why not? This guy needed treatment.

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

so this from City Hall: members of the public can call the police non-emergency line and request a 'wellness check' in such circumstances and a paramedic will come and assess.
    Non-Emergency?
    Call (604) 717-3321