Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Should You Be PAID To Fill Out A Questionnaire?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Sep 19, 2015.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i've developed a personal viewpoint on questionnaires ...

... i believe that if someone wants me to fill out a survey i feel i should be paid for it. it's seems only fair that if you're being asked to give up your time and intellect you should be compensated for it, much like a consultant is compensated for providing information. and in fact some companies actually do pay people to fill out surveys ...

... comments about this?

2. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

I took this up with someone doing a survey @ the BC liquor store and she offered me a candy-I declined because I don't like mints.

But Yes I won't answer for nothing.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

As long as there are many people who are willing to take surveys without any form of compensation, I don't think compensation would be standard for taking a survey. You can always decline taking surveys.

I have seen some web sites that ask you to take a survey before you can read the content. At least the compensation in that case is the ability to read the content.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

... thanks for your reply, bill. i'm in agreement with you on this ... :up:

... thanks for your comment too, Stuntman. interesting observation about certain websites providing a form of compensation for doing their surveys ...

... but regarding your point about being allowed to decline doing surveys, there is one survey that we MUST complete and you can be prosecuted if you don't -- and you certainly don't get compensated for completing it! that survey being the canadian government census!

... personally, i believe the census should be COMPLETELY voluntary and if you do take the time to complete it you should be duly compensated for doing so, at the very least with a tax break of some kind. someone correct me if they actually do give you a tax break for doing the census ...

... anyway, thank you Stuntman and bill for your extraordinarily excellent comments! :up:

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

A non-compulsory census would defeat the purpose of having a census. You cannot get an accurate count if people can choose not to be counted by not filling out a census. The information gathered in the census is used to ensure proper funds are allocated to government services and programs. It is also used to properly draw riding boundaries to conform to shifting populations throughout the country.

the mechanic likes this.
  6. the mechanic

... one day strolling through the shopping mall at central city in surrey i was stopped by a lady who asked me if i was willing to complete a survey ...

... she said i'd be paid twenty dollars cash for doing so, so i said yes. i was then led to an office where i was seated in a cubicle and then given the survey to complete. the survey consisted of pages of multiple choice questions about consumer products and you had to tear through it very quickly because of its long length. i ended up doing a couple other surveys there until they stopped paying cash ...

... that's when i kind of clued in that you should be paid for doing surveys ...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015