Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Shanghai Village on Cambie & 16th

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Jan 9, 2011.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

The free range chicken crock (clay) pot soup was great. Good flavour, well balanced and not too oily. The fish noodles were interesting. Fills you up quickly, probably because of the protein content. It's not overly fishy, but you can definitely tell that the noodles are made of fish. No complaints about the xiao long baos (free with $20+ orders). Frankly, people get a little too nitpicky about what a good XLB should be like when it's personal taste. Salty egg crispy rice was pretty good too.

I had three other dishes, though I'm not sure what they are called. One was chicken with a vinegar sauce which was okay. Another was a deep fried fish stewed in a black bean garlic sauce which everybody found super salty. The last dish contained fish maw, shrimp and green peas which was also okay.

There was a communication fail that caused us to wait an hour or so for nothing. We ordered the Marble Sticky Rice Ball dessert but it never came. After asking about it, the waitress told us that the chef forgot about it, so we waited some more. After asking again, it turned out that the waitress meant they ran out completely. :confused: Too bad... I really wanted to try it. Does anyone know how much you get? It's 7.99 for 8 balls but that seems like it's only adequate for one person.

Overall, the portions were smaller than I'm used to. The only thing that really stood out for me was the clay pot soup.