Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Salmon Tasting Mouldy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Apr 8, 2015.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

It wasn't cheap either. The package said is was 'wild' but I have my doubts.

Anyone else had salmon taste : muddy or moldy?

the mechanic likes this.
  2. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... interesting you mention this, flutterby. i bought some some tinned salmon recently at the bargain price of a dollar a can. however, upon inspection i found it to be a little dry. still very edible and tasty though ...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I would take dry over mould any day. The large health food chain outlet I bought it from swears it's 'wild' and so does the price tag.

I also had a tin of salmon go bad within one day..and it had been put in the fridge.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. hogan

hogan Guest

did you get it from Whole Foods? salmon should not taste moldy. if it was pre-seasoned maybe the bread crumbs or panko that was used went bad?

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

yes I did. no seasoning. Thank you for stating the obvious. I think i know that salmon should not taste moldy.

Makes me suspect that farmed salmon goes 'off' faster than wild. Another reason to avoid it where possible. Off course when it's labelled Wild, what can a consumer do?

I'm gonna start using a pendulum to test out food before i buy it. such a horrendous waste of money.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

One possibility is that someone used fresh water to rinse the fish-I know it sounds odd but saltwater fish goes off quite quickly if it's rinsed with fresh water.