Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Private Food Testing Labs Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Jan 15, 2016.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

So I get sick from food at least once every 3 months these days. The last time I bought some imported cheese and when i bit close to the rind go a mouthful of what I can only describe as Acetone. I actually felt sick for a good 2 hours after that one bite and had a horrible metalic/acidic taste in my mouth. Of course the store where I bought it claimed ignorance/innocence and so I wanted it tested. I know that cheese makers commonly add chemicals to inhibit mould growth but I have bitten near all kinds of cheese rinds in my life and have never tasted anything like that.

I tried 4 labs locally, a couple in Ontario/Alberta and none would test this fing cheese rind. Even places that advertised on their website 'food testing.' With the way food imports are these days, and virtually no inspection here or at the country of origin, I feel it is important to at least have adequate private food testing labs here. I just bought some herbal tea (loose) that I have bought many times from this one store and today it was so scratchy it made me cough so I had to throw it out. $8 down the drain. Who knows what is in loose leaf tea? It could be almost anything.