Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Automotive Places to practice driving in Vancouver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skyblue, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue Guest

Parking lots at night are great to practice smooth acceleration, stopping, steering and parking.

I recommend the Superstore at SE Marine Drive and Prince Albert Street, it's large and there's no gate on it so you can go there as late as you want. It closes at 11:00 pm, so go any time later than that.

Also great is the cemetery on Fraser Street. The gates are open from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. I learned how to drive standard transmission there.

BCIT is also good but I can't remember if they block it off at night.

And once you've got basic driving skills down and you can drive on side streets, have someone take you to Stanley Park Drive. It goes around all of Stanley Park in a counter-clockwise direction. Traffic is medium during the day, but non-existent at night. It has hills, is decently wide, and has a good mix of winding medium turns to get used to driving on non-straight roads. Once you've gone around once, you can take N Lagoon Drive underneath the Stanley Park Causeway, making a loop around Stanley Park, so you can just continue making laps around the park until you've got it.