Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Pickled fish anyone?

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by joeclark, Aug 16, 2017.

1. joeclark

joeclark Junior Member

I love the stuff. My mother used to get pickled herring for us but my aunt and grandmother used to make it. Always loved it.

So I have access to a lot of salmon for the next week and I was thinking I'd try to do some pickling. Question is - has anyone done it?

The basic routine is to salt or brine it for a day or more. The next step is the one I'm not sure of. Some people rinse it and start layering onions and pickling brine with the fish, others suggest poaching it for a few minutes to kill whatever worms might be in the fish, which people tell me can be an issue with some fish from the Great Lakes like pike, trout, whitefish, etc. So some people freeze or poach before pickling the fish.

Others don't. I'm inclined to do a really short poaching of the fish, but don't want to ruin the texture. Any suggestions?

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

-References
    -http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086097161/m/6357041452

-Fulfillment Solution Video

2. HerbertMub

HerbertMub Guest

Would someone be interested in doing a review on their Favorite Fish for the next Newsletter? you have 4 weeks to get it done and i would be very gratefull