Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Pho in Greater Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Jun 11, 2012.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

ITT: We talk about new pho restaurants you've tried or your favourite pho spots across the lower mainland.

I was at Kingsgate Mall picking up free underwear, so I went to Thai Son Vietnamese on Broadway for the first time. Oily but not bad and can't complain about the price. The bean sprouts weren't very fresh though (they might have been pre-blanched for some reason).

[​IMG]

2. ema

ema Full Member

Really? Thai Son is so MSG filled... =/

3. SHITTY MSPAINT

SHITTY MSPAINT New Member

4. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Pho hoa is good! I'm going to try num num street cart sometime. It's on Granville and 10th ave. They have pho.

5. ema

ema Full Member

Yeah I personally like Pho Hoa because of their clear broth.

My personal faves:
    Pho Hoa
    Pho Quyen

My personal dislikes: (in no order)
    Pho Thai Hoa
    Pho Thai Son
    Pho ...that 24/7 train place
    there's many more but I can't remember them.

I really look for a beef aroma in the soup and the satisfying taste afterwards. Some broths make me want to drown myself in water later due to the MSG.. =/

6. milquetoast

I find that Pho Hoa (Kingsway) has the least beef aroma and is heavy on the other spices :laugh:. Not my preferred style of broth.

My favourite would probably be Kim Phung on Victoria Dr. but they are expensive (>$10 for a bowl).
    [​IMG]

I'm lucky I have no problems with MSG. Beef itself has a lot of natural glutamates (like fish sauce, soy sauce and cheeses) so the total amount of MSG can be overkill sometimes if you're sensitive to it.

7. ema

ema Full Member

I measure pho with the broth, and the noodles. I prefer fresh noodles over dry noodles..., dry noodles seem to have a mouldy smell to me. =/

I like Chicken Pho more,
    Lam Son Quan is great, it's also on Victoria Drive :) big bowl for a cheap price, they use free range chicken too.

8. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

I prefer chicken over beef too.

Before I had a car, I used to go to Pacific centre a lot. I used to get the chicken noodle soup from Vina so often that the boss there would recognize me. Haven't gone there in a year. I betcha she remembers me. They don't make the best pho. Have to put their hot sauce in the soup for it to be good. Really wish I know what hot sauce they use, it's so good. I prefer the foodcourt than going to a restaurant. Only go to restaurants with friends. Now I drive to Metrotown roughly 3 times a week. I either get chicken pho from Vina or U-Grill. U-Grill have the best teriyaki chicken period!

Anyways, I think pho hoa have a really rich quality soup. There's also a place couple of blocks from Vandusen gardens. The one time I was there they forgot about my ice tea. Had to ask them and I already finished my noodles.

9. milquetoast

Just a guess, but Sriracha?

[​IMG]

If not, it could be Chili Garlic Sauce (left) or Sambal Oelek (right). Huy Fong Foods makes all three and is the most popular brand here.

[​IMG]