Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Pho at UBC in the SUB

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Sep 18, 2010.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I noticed that there's now a place to get pho on campus. It's at Pacific Spirit Place (the part of the student union building with Subway, A&W, Manchu Wok etc.). Don't remember the price but it didn't seem outrageous (using UBC prices as the baseline) but I didn't see how big the portions were.

Anyone at UBC try it yet? :D

2. milquetoast

Just tried this today, portion of toppings and noodles are a lot less than what the sample shows.

Good points
    Actually pleasantly surprised by the broth. It was not too heavy and pretty damn decent. A bit heavier on the daikon than most which can be overwhelming especially when the dude gives you a huge chunk of it as a topping.
    Dipping containers for both hot sauce and hoisin without having to ask for it.

Negatives
    He cut up the noodles! This is a huge NO.
    Lettuce bits as topping. I don't know why this is there but its presence left a flavour in the broth that's odd.
    Where the hell are the thai basil leaves, bean sprouts and lime wedges?
    Not overly filling but considering how price has gone up for food everywhere on campus, it's not outrageous. I'd say it's in line with what the Moon charges now.

So there's clearly potential, with some small changes it could be pretty good.

3. ema

ema Full Member

I disagree lol :p
    I tried it because it seemed odd to me that there were people buying it LOL. The whole time I was thinking, this isn't authentic! And uncut noodles are also a big no for me, however I feel that they used craptastic noodles. ANOTHER NO for me...the soup was odd to me and I didn't enjoy it.

It was around $5...not trying again.

4. milquetoast

I get tired of the MSG laden stuff that's so popular here so I appreciate a nice clean broth. There is a lot of variation in how the soup is made. With that said, I do agree that the soup base tasted "off"... but... I think that was mainly because of the huge chunk of daikon and lettuce pieces.

Now that you mention it, the noodles weren't good, but I couldn't tell since they were cut up. I think that was the biggest offending factor.

5. ema

ema Full Member

that cheeseshredder made last year. efff
    any ways so i think after his thread, i went to try it and it's terrible.
    what annoys me more is that so many people will settle for it as "decent, good pho"

there was spinach in the pho, the pho noodles were cut short cause apparently we can't chew the noodles. the beef balls were ok and the soup was decent that's about it. never trying this again.
    [​IMG]

6. Forum Vancouver

Forum Vancouver Administrator Staff Member

Found and merged!

ema likes this.
  7. milquetoast

Well the tl;dr version of my post is: broth isn't bad, wtf's up with the lettuce and cut noodles? I said it had potential, but guess it's still the same except it's spinach rather than lettuce :rofl:.

If you want real pho, it's a pretty long trek out of campus unfortunately.

8. ema

ema Full Member

according to my definition of "trek" or yours :p hahahaha
    there's pho tam along the ubc path but seeing how some of my caucasian friends ordered it for take out, i tried and it wasn't good. fail