Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Microsoft Windows Tech Support Phone Scam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Jul 6, 2011.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Got one of those scam calls from "Microsoft Windows Support Centre" today. I have to admit, this one is rather creative.

I hung up after the first sentence but I think next time I'll mess with them a little bit. Any ideas on how to waste their time?

Cliffs of the scam:
    1. Receive a call (private number) from someone with a thick indian accent claiming to be from Windows or Microsoft IT. They probably think that the accent makes them sound more legit.

[​IMG]

2. They claim that there's something wrong with your computer (virus/trojan/data corruption, etc) using your Event Viewer as justification. FYI: Having errors in the Event Viewer is typically normal.

3. Scammer then tries to convince you to sign into http://logmein123.com/ which grants them access to your computer.

4. Then they install keyloggers/trojans on your computer to steal personal information (or) they install a virus and charge you a service fee to remove it.

2. 6u-huo.l.uV

6u-huo.l.uV Moderator Staff Member

hah. think my dad got the same call. luckily he wasn't a nube. the dude said that if we didn't fix it within 24h, we'd have a "blackour" fuuuuu

anyway, probably waste their time just by playing along?