Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Mandarin Tofu Mystery

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by salmon, Oct 13, 2013.

1. salmon

salmon Junior Member

I buy the Mandarin Soyfoods Deep Fried Tofu from time to time at the Real Canadian Superstore. Each pack of tofu contains 12 pieces of deep fried tofu. Yesterday, I picked up a pack at Superstore and discovered that it has only 11 pieces (see attached photos). I checked all the packs on the shelf and they all had 11 pieces! Machine malfunction or Mandarin Soyfoods shortchanging customers?

Photo 1: Mandarin Soyfoods Deep Fried Tofu
    [​IMG]

Photo 2: Package containing 11 pieces of tofu instead of the regular 12 pieces
    [​IMG]

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

They might have decreased the grams per package like how potato chip manufacturers do. Instead of increasing the price when costs go up, they subtly decrease the amount.

3. salmon

salmon Junior Member

That's true, they could just made smaller tofu and keep the 12 pieces with the same total weightage as the 11 pieces instead of packing 11 pieces into a single pack. That's a 110g or 4oz pack.

Or they could increase the price if they don't want to play around with the quantity in the pack, but of course, this is not a desirable option for consumers.

4. salmon

salmon Junior Member

Machine malfunction :)

Today's tofu contains the full 12 pieces :jump:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TellYou

TellYou Guest

I doubt the quality of the tofu. If you do shop at Sunrise market, you will find tons of rotten inedible vegetables and fruits.