Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Discussion Looking around to buy a stethoscope

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussions' started by OfMedClass2016, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Hey, guys. I'm super excited to be entering medical school this year! I want to buy a stethoscope, but I don't know if there are any deals. Any ideas? Please and thanks!

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

My friends in med school use the Littmann Cardiology III which is pretty much the standard these days. I gifted a stethoscope to a friend who got accepted last year, so I did a fair bit of research into them. A few get the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite, which to my ears, provides more acoustic clarity but at a lower amplitude compared to the Cardiology 3 (i.e. more resolution, but lower volume).

If you're going to UBC for school, the group order is a good opportunity to try out the different stethoscopes, but the cost is higher than if you ordered online on your own. You also might not get it in time for Family Practice clinics if you go this route.

Depending on time of year, the cheapest place to get a 3M stethoscope can either be Amazon.COM or Medisave USA.

Amazon will typically have good sales on the Cardiology III and they currently ship to Canada: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F4UOXY

Around this time last year, Medisave USA had free shipping, free engraving and a $5 off facebook coupon promotion. You need a US shipping address though (see this thread for parcel receiving services close to the border): http://www.medisave.net/littmann-stethoscopes/littmann-cardiology-iii-stethoscope.html

If you really want to get the most bang for your buck, get the Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope. It supposedly sounds better than a $150 stethoscope but costs $10. The downside is that it's not as comfortable to wear or carry around.

For what it's worth, the Master Cardiology is acoustically clearer than the III but as with Welch Allyn, it's not as loud. You also won't have a real bell to practice with (which can be problematic if you have older preceptors and tutors for clinical skills and OSCEs).

Congratulations on getting into medicine!

3. SHITTY MSPAINT

SHITTY MSPAINT New Member