Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Kudos To The Occupy Vancouver Protesters For Fighting The Government!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Oct 17, 2011.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... the occupy vancouver protesters are noble soldiers in a grass roots war for freedom and i admire them with all my heart for taking a stand against the oppressive canadian government ...

... good for the protesters for doing their part! too bad for the government these various annual protests mean it's the beginning of the end for them ...

2. mission

mission Full Member

The rich-poor gap needs some looking into...

3. the mechanic

... we should all reach into our pockets and hand over $100 to each of the occupy vancouver protesters as a show of gratitude for what they're doing on behalf of a lot people who aren't prepared or able to hit the streets like they are ...

4. mission

mission Full Member

Occupy Vancouver has costs the city $500K so far...

5. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I was downtown on Saturday, the protests seemed pretty peaceful. TBH, most of the protesters there seemed out of place and awkward. I noticed there were a few "hardcore" anarchist types playing the dominant roll (+ a few people in Guy Fawkes masks lawl) and the rest were just average people standing around.

All the protest signs were filled with grammatical and spelling errors too.

I walked by David Suzuki being pestered by media.

6. the mechanic

... but how much does it cost the city to have a corrupt police department like the vpd running around like idiots with their heads cut off? how much does it cost the city to have a clueless mayor like gregor robertson in office? occupy vancouver isn't responsible for this exorbitant $500,000 expense, the city of vancouver is responsible for the expense ...

... the vancouver police department and mayor gregor robertson are much more expensive to the city of vancouver in terms of businesses having to relocate and go elsewhere than are a group of peaceful protesters ...

7. mission

mission Full Member

These protesters are smart enough not to riot this time round so that is why they are peaceful ... or is the VPD effective in their policing??

I thought the Police will ask anyone in mask to take them off... maybe the Police wasn't there at that moment..

Grammatical and spelling errors too... it shows the educational level of the protestors....

8. mission

mission Full Member

The City staff are highly paid, more than what their counterparts in the private sector is earning. I wonder if this is fair to all people or is it that the workers in the private sector do not have a right to collective bargaining... I guess this is debatable...

9. the mechanic

... sounds like a cool extreme vacation idea. head down to van with your camping gear, set up a tent with the protesters, hand out donations for all the good work they're doing and join in on the anti-government festivities ...

10. milquetoast

11. onhostl

onhostl Guest

'sacred fire'

12. milquetoast

Despite all the problems with the Occupy movement (lots of momentum but no focus), I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. It's history in the making and it very much reflects Gen Y's latent feelings of dissatisfaction with the current state of things. Beginnings of the next big social movement? Possibly.

Income inequalities, unaffordable housing, saturated job markets, impending economic crises... etc. The cost of education is growing while the value of one is diminishing. People are spending years in school just to get an entry-level job. It's deferred gratification that never materializes.

the mechanic likes this.
  13. milquetoast

Occupy Vancouver moves to Grandview Park

14. the mechanic

... the fallen liberal government is applying for court orders fast and furious. suddenly if you hang out on government land the crown can just arbitrarily say you're an occupy vancouver protester and get judgments against you? doesn't sound lawful at all. has it even been proven in court that all of the protesters are affiliated with occupy vancouver? probably not. just what does make someone an occupy vancouver protester? is it because they've purchased a membership and have an identification card? is it because they have a patch on their vest? is occupy vancouver even a legal entity that can be named in civil court proceedings? not it isn't ...

... the name occupy vancouver is simply being used by the lawyer-controlled liberal government to funnel easy cash to the bar through bogus supreme court of bc proceedings. the government will use any excuse to divert cash to its army of lawyers ...