Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Is this weird or perfectly normal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ema, May 13, 2012.

1. ema

ema Full Member

Time's Magazine released a cover photo of Jamie Lynn Grumet (yeah I thought it was the sister of Britney Spears but it isn't) breast feeding her 3 year old son. Of course, Jamie explains that this isn't how she breastfeeds him, it's more of a "nurturing" thing at home, she'll pat his back etc.

So what's your take, do you think it's normal for a mom to still breastfeed her kid even though he's a toddler and completely capable of holding the milk sippy cup.
    More on the article: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/ja...er-time-magazine-breastfeeding-180300346.html
    Video: http://thefw.com/jamie-lynne-grumet-talks-time-cover/
    [​IMG]

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

It's weird according to modern values, but was the norm for most of human civilization. The notion that extended breastfeeding (>1 year) is taboo is a recent western concept because breasts turned into sex objects.

In terms of health, both parties benefit hugely in so many aspects from breastfeeding so it's certainly not harmful. Concerns would be social stigma and bullying - but that's just more reason to publicize it and change our ethnocentric viewpoints.

Formula companies have done so much damage to developing countries in terms of increasing rates of infection, diarrhea and death among infants. Effects on developed countries are probably harder to isolate but I'd wager that it's caused increases in diabetes, allergies, infections and overall mortality in the general population. The consequences of lack of breastfeeding are lifelong.

Also, why are there so many people named Jamie-Lynn?

3. ema

ema Full Member

I think having breast milk in a sippy cup seems better. I think it reaches an age, just my opinion where a child should be given the opportunity to be independent. Small steps at a time, breastfeeding first etc.