Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Is this a counterfeit $5 dollar bill or a laundry accident?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Nov 6, 2010.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I was digging through my pockets and found a sketchy looking five dollar bill the other day (the top one in the first picture). It's one of the older 2002 issues so I couldn't compare it to the bill that I had. The security features that it does have are pretty worn out or faded. The three iridescent maple leaves are difficult to see, raised markings are hardly there and I can't see the hidden number.

The paper feels a bit off and the dimensions are all wrong, but it almost feels like it's been through the washer and dryer, which would explain all of the above. So, do you think I got owned with a fake $5 or did I receive somebody's laundry screw up? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ema

ema Full Member

It is indeed A FAKE $5 DOLLAR BILL.

My parents received a few before and this is what's done. Take that bill and with your fingernail placed on top scratch it on a piece of white paper. If there's no ink then it's fake.
    It is fake because the $5 dollar regardless of year are all standard, our new bills have that monogram for when you place it up to the light you can see an image. The old $5 bill had the 3 maple leaves, people producing fake bills would mass produce these and throw it into the washer and dryer so that it looks like the bill has been worn out. When the bill is worn out, you can't exactly see the 3 shiny maple leaves anymore.

Yeah..lol my conclusion, it is fake. Keep it or give it to the bank or use it at some small grocery store lol.

3. ema

ema Full Member

More like a laundry ON PURPOSE lol :p

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Sigh... :( All the more reason to use my credit card exclusively.

5. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Be very careful not to leave dollar bills where they can get into the washing machine. The RCMP might charge you with money laundering. And then the politically correct crybabies will accuse your washing machine of being racist. I mean, where else but inside a wash load are "whites" and "coloreds" kept so completely apart? It sounds like apartheid with a sixteen-pound limit.